Accessing MS Word on client side using asp.net

Discussion in 'ASP.NET' started by meredithf, Oct 22, 2007.

1. meredithf

meredithf New Member

Hi guys!

I am developing a system using vb in an asp.net platform. This is how it goes. A user has 50+ MS Word files which contains a lot form fields. When a button is clicked on the web page, the system opens the 50+ MS Word files one by one, reads all the form fields then save the details in an access database. lUsing the information saved on the database, the files are viewed in the web page so that it can be edited or deleted. The system should also have the capability to view the file back in MS Word format. The system works fine when I run it with the Visual Studio open. But when I run it through other machines and even through my machine just by typing in the web page address, it just stops when it's time to access or open the MS Word document. I am getting an error on the "Dim oWordApp as new Word.Application" part. I've searched through the internet and all I could find is that accessing MS Word on the client side is not possible. But how am I able to read all the form fields in the Word document if I can't open the MS Word application? How can I display the file in a Word Application? What is the best approach to solve this problem? I would greatly appreciate any suggestions or advice.

2. shabbir

shabbir Administrator Staff Member

Moved to ASP forum from Introduce yourself forum.