How to access BIOS memory?

Discussion in 'Ethical hacking' started by Hexa, Jul 15, 2007.

1. Hexa

Hexa New Member

Hello,

I have several Dell computers with a LCD display in front of. The displayed string can be changed from BIOS itself, but I want to modify it from within the OS.
    I checked the CMOS memory (using port 0x70/71) but this information is not visible here (I tried to change the string and then check for changes).
    I also checked the memory to see if the configuration is mapped somewhere, but I cannot find anything.

So, does someone knows where BIOS maps its additionnal memory, or how to access it if it is port-based access (like basic CMOS).

The BIOS is a Phoenix one, and is very recent.

Thanks,
    --
    Hexa

2. Hexa

Hexa New Member

Ho, and I checked existing tools to change the configuration. Tools are able to change basic configuration elements (such as activate numlock and many others) but are not able to handle these LCD strings.

--
    Hexa

3. Hexa

Hexa New Member

PS: sorry for the duplicated posts. I got technical problems and I failed to see my previous posts.
    --
    Hexa

4. shabbir

shabbir Administrator Staff Member

Thats because you submitted as articles.

5. Hexa

Hexa New Member

Yes, but something curious: this forum is "f=56" ( Programming and Web Development Forum > Go4Expert > Queries and Discussion > Ethical hacking), but when I click on "Submit article" the edit window is for "f=55" (which is Programming and Web Development Forum > Go4Expert > Articles / Source Code > Ethical hacking).
    Maybe a problem.

--
    Hexa

6. shabbir

shabbir Administrator Staff Member

Nope its like f=56 is for Queries and you will see f=55 is for articles now instead of Clicking Submit Article you should be using New Thread link beside that.