Automating Leave Request Case

Discussion in 'Engineering Concepts' started by KOD.x_x., Nov 18, 2009.

1. KOD.x_x.

KOD.x_x. New Member

hey guys i dont know if this is the right place for this but I need some serious help so im posting it here since it looked like the most appropriate place. Anyways, im working on a project for my IT course and I have no clue as to what im doing. Heres the case, see if you guys can help me out...

Company Dynamics is a firm that develops comprehensive IT solutions for its clients. Currently, the company employs 55 full-time IT professionals with different levels and skills related to IT development. Currently, the company relies on a manual process to handle employees’ leave requests (e.g., vacation, sick, maternity, no-pay, etc.). The process for the IT professionals to submit leave requests and get approval is described in the following.

First, IT professionals have to fill out the Leave Request Form indicating the time period (date and year) for the leave, reasons for taking the leave, leave time that has already been taken within the fiscal year, other required documents (e.g., doctor’s note) if applicable, his or her department code, and the name of his or her supervising manager who approves the request.

Second, once receives the form, the supervising manager checks the correctness of information in the form, examines whether the request conforms to the company’s policies, checks whether the employee has exceeded the leave limits that the employee could enjoy within the current fiscal year, and examine whether the requested time period would be available. The manager could simply reject the request if any of these conditions are not met. If the manager identifies problems in the form, the manager will indicate in the form the reasons for resubmission and the form will be returned to the IT professional for revision. The step will repeat until the manager is satisfied with the accuracy of the form content. If the manager approves the leave request, the approved form will be sent to the Human Resource for processing.

Not surprisingly, the process is error-prone. Sometimes, employees enter wrong information due to the unfamiliarity with company policies; the error could prolong the process for getting the approval. Sometimes, forms are lost in the process. And if managers and employees would like to check previous records, it is very difficult to find them as these forms have been transferred to the Human Resource. On average, it usually takes two or three months before the IT professionals who submit their leave request to finally get approval.

The IT professionals are disappointed with the manual process and want the managers to sponsor a new system to automate the process. In addition, they emphasize additional functionalities that they would like to have in the new system including they should be able to check past overtime history and check the status of the recently submitted request and the system should be able to automatically calculate how their payment would be affected. Managers agree with the IT professionals that the process needs to be automated and would like to see additional functionalities including being able to review leave requests online, add notes to these requests online, and generate report of employees who are going to take leave in a given time period.
    As a business analyst, your job is to analyze functional requirements of the new system Leave Request System and document these requirements using the Object-oriented approach. In particular, your documentation should include the following components:

Requirement content

Class Diagram
    Draw class diagrams for the Leave Request Management System

Use Case Diagram
    Draw a use case diagram for the system

Use Case description
    Write a detailed use case scenario for each use case of the system

Activity Diagram
    Draw an activity diagram for each use case scenario

System Sequence Diagram
    Draw a sequence diagram for each use case scenario

Statechart Diagram
    Draw a statechart diagram for each object with dynamic behaviors

Design Specifications

Detailed System Sequence Diagrams
    Develop detailed sequence diagrams for each corresponding system sequence diagram you have developed

Detailed Class Models
    Develop a detailed class diagram for the system

I need help with most of this, especially the Use Case diagram. I have no clue where to start and how to start. Plz give me some advice. thanks.

2. xpi0t0s

xpi0t0s Mentor

Senior Support Engineer
    First of all, why have you no clue where to start? This is a complex project for a complete beginner. So either the course must have pre-requisites that you don't meet, or you've been goofing around during class and not learning anything - copying assignments off the internet instead of doing them yourself, perhaps? Or maybe you have a terrible teacher, in which case your classmates should be struggling too, and you should complain about him to the head of department. But it's amazing how many people who post here have allegedly terrible teachers, but won't complain.

I said previously that it's a complex project. But thankfully it appears you don't have to write any code. What you need to do is to look back in your course notes and/or book about Use Case Diagrams (and anything else you haven't got a clue about) and see how it describes them, and look at the examples it gives. Then you can build a Use Case Diagram around the specifications of this project. You'll probably find a lot of similarities once you really start looking hard at it. Part of the point of assignments is to make you go over the course material again, and this time apply it, and in that way you really learn what it means. So there is *zero* point in anyone here giving you the answers.