operating electonic device via computer by passing signal..

Discussion in 'Engineering Concepts' started by chandrou_k, Feb 1, 2009.

1. chandrou_k

chandrou_k New Member

i have a project and in that i want to send signal through computer and make an 3v electric motor to rotate in clockwise and anticlockwise direction. i dont have any idea of in which programming language i should do and how to pass the signal to the device via which port. can someone help me out

2. xpi0t0s

xpi0t0s Mentor

Senior Support Engineer
    You can use whichever programming language you know. Most will be able to do this.
    Probably something like Visual Basic will be best, assuming you're using Windows, as this is an easy language to program in.
    As for hardware I would suggest getting a PIC with a USB interface built in, then the PIC will handle the motor signals and the USB interface means you can connect it easily to the computer.

3. chandrou_k

chandrou_k New Member

thank you for ur suggestion. i will try it out. i didnt get any replies for the former so i thought of changing my description so posted the other.

4. `skunk2

`skunk2 New Member

student
    hiya fellas...

I'm kinda new here so please bare with me at the mean time...anyways, I'm having this project now at our Computer Architecture class and what I'm trying to do is make a mini basketball court with one goal and the whole point of this project is to be able to have a goal counter in the form of a mini scoreboard using common cathode 7-segment and having a sensor (In my case I used IR) to be able to detect weather the should was good or not. By the way I am using a parallel port printer cable to be able to plug my system to my computer...now the delema that I am having right now is being able to find the source codes in any programming language (preferably assembly) for my interface...A source code that would make the sensor work its function to be able to pic up the signal when a shot is made and then output the signal in the 7-segment so that every time a shot is made then the score would increment...please guys if there's anyone out there who has one this already or might have any idea about what I'm talking about here...I beg you all...please help me in this...your replies are very much appreciated and needed asap...thanks guys. :D