10 ways to speed up slow computer

Discussion in 'Operating System' started by Alex1239, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Alex1239

Alex1239 New Member

Student
    Home Page:
    http://techotips.com
    I see a lot of Windows users always complain "My computer/pc is too slow. How to speed up my pc speed performance?" and they need a new PC. Upgrading the PC is always a viable option for better performance, but here are things that you can do to keep your PC healthy and i am sure this will help you to make your PC faster. But changing pc everytime is a costly affair and hence i have listed below 10 perfect ways to help you improve your computer speed performance. Thus, you will be able to speed up your computer/pc for free.

The last time u installed Windows it worked very smoothly on your first boot right? The boot process was faster, applications were running quickly and smoothly, no errors. Now why does it takes such a long time to boot and takes lot of memory? What can i possibly do to restore my PC that earlier state?

The answer is pretty simple. You have to take care of your pc and tweak a bit. Overclocking your PC is an option to try at your own risk which i don’t recommend hence not discussing in this post. You only have to understand why your pc is slowing down and do things to prevent from slowing down.

Here are 10 simple ways to speed your PC:

1. Using an Anti-Virus, Spyware and Adware removal program:

If you use Internet frequently, chances are that you pc is infected by any adware or spyware if you not using a good anti virus/anti-malware program. Most adware’s and spywares open multiple connections to access internet spreading infection all over the web. This may slow down your pc, other harmful viruses might crunch your memory and system resources mostly slowing down startup process. Therefore,

• Use a good antivirus, adware, spyware removal Software.
      Make sure you UPDATE it regularly.
      Enable the auto update mode for better security.
      Run regular scans (weekly scheduled scanning recommended).

2. Defragmenting Hard drives:

The files when moved or created on your PC are stored into small fragments randomly on your disk drive. When you open those files it takes time to gather all those chunks and put them back together to form that single file. When you defragment your drive all those scattered fragments are arranged properly on the drive thus loading application bit faster. There is a Disk Defragmenter utility in windows,

Open My Computer > Right click on the disk drive you want to defragment > Select Properties > Under Tools tab click Defragment Now. But i recommend Power Defragmenter a small free utility by sysinternals which is faster and with various options.

3. Clean Registry:

Windows registry is a database of information of all the files, folders and the windows configuration. This database grows as you use windows, can also become erroneous. Thus, it becomes necessary to clean and repair registry errors regularly. Use CCleaner, a tiny Freeware to scan and fix registry issues.

4. Delete Temporary, Junk and Obsolete files/Clear cache:

Clean all your drives for free space, i personally recommend keep atleast 20% of your drive space free. Also, you have to clear the windows TEMP files, the web browsers temporary files, caches files, etc. All web browsers has that option.CCleaner will be a good choice for the same, it will analyze and clean all unwanted internet files, Windows Explorer files and system files.

5. Check Disk for errors:

Scan your disk for errors regularly. There may be some lost fragments or links which may lead to error in application. Run Scandisk once a week to keep things running smoothly. the error checking utility in windows will scan and attempt to recover bad sectors. Open My Computer > Right click the drive > Properties > Tools > click Check Now Button. Else simply type chkdsk /r at the command prompt.

6. Remove Startup items:

Removing unwanted startup programs will speedup the windows boot process and your desktop will be ready quickly. some programs like Limewire or MSN messenger take time to load at startup, you can remove those and run them when needed.to remove Startup items: Start > Run > type msconfig > press OK. Now in the System Configuration Utility uncheck the unwanted programs (better Disable All).

7. Remove unnecessary Programs:

Remove those programs which you don’t use anymore. This will free disk space and even help windows perform better. Also, remove the windows unwanted components like Indexing services & Outlook Express from the Add/Remove windows programs.

8. Keep PC updated:

Look for regular updates, Enable Windows Updates, Updates includes major bugfixes which can be helpful. Look for new Service packs for better hardware compatibility. Update all device drivers, anti-virus programs and other applications. Hardware Manufactures keep updating their device drivers for better and smooth functioning. I have written earlier on a Free Software To Update Windows Device Drivers do read that.

9. Remove unwanted visual effects:

The animated windows and fading menus can slow down your pc unknowingly. You can remove those fading effects, Use windows classic style theme, remove the heavy graphic wallpaper(none), You can even lower the color quality( to medium 16-Bit) and lower the screen resolution. Lower the screen resolution, better the performance.

10.Use Lightweight programs:

Replace all those resource consuming programs and look for better alternatives, especially for those who have RAM less then 512 and an old PIII machine.

use Lightweight antivirus programs like Avira...the best i found, NOD32, AVG instead of Norton Antivirus.

This will really help you improve performance and helped me speed up my pc/computer.Try these out to improve your computer speed and performance.

Hey guys...if you have any additional tips to improve slow pc performance, then just mention it below in comments section.

Enjoy HaCkInG.....

shabbir likes this.
  2. neo_vi

neo_vi Member

Software engineer
    Home Page:
    http://computertipaday.blogspot.com
    except using in C:\ u can use
    Code:
    chkdsk /x /r

The above locks all the process in the current drive and fixes the disk.

3. phone00x

phone00x New Member

goods...
    very detail....

4. skp819

skp819 New Member

these are the very good tips. thanks for sharing these tips. it is very useful to increase the speed of the net.

5. shabbir

shabbir Administrator Staff Member

6. shabbir

shabbir Administrator Staff Member

7. Anderson02

Anderson02 New Member

Home Page:
    http://www.PC-Speed-Booster.com
    Hi,

You have posted a valuable information on how to speed up slow computer.

However, problems could still arise because of many factors. If you know that you are maintaining your computer well and are sure that every part of your computer is new, then the problem might have something to do with the Windows registry. Unfortunately, this problem is quite common and is one of the biggest reasons why computers tend to slow down over time.

8. yohan

yohan New Member

You could add memory so that its much faster..

9. nikonjems

nikonjems New Member

wow guyz your tips are really appreciatable.

10. 3vmarketing

3vmarketing New Member

Managing Director
    1. Defragment Your Hard Drive
    2. Scan for Viruses e
    3. Check for Spyware and Adware.
    4. Apply Windows Updatess
    5. Uninstall Unneeded Programs.
    6. Clean up the Windows Registry
    7. Stop programs from starting on Windows boot.
    8. Scan Your Hard Disk
    9. Add RAM to your Computer
    10. Use the Right Tools

shabbir likes this.
  11. hanleyhansen

hanleyhansen New Member

Drupal Developer/LAMP Developer
    Home Page:
    http://www.hanseninfotech.com
  12. djbrown

djbrown New Member

well, If you use Internet frequently, chances are that you pc is infected by any adware or spyware if you not using a good anti virus/anti-malware program.

13. helloxiaokitty

helloxiaokitty New Member

here, i will introduce some ways to help users to speed up pc
    1.Clean and optimize your registry
    a.1. Clean your registry manually.
    b.Download a Registry Optimizer and scan your registry for free
    2.Use the "msconfig" and stop the unnecessary start-up programs
    3.Clear the temporary files on your computer.
    4.Uninstall the unnecessary programs on your computer
    5.Back up your registry

14. David01Boon

David01Boon New Member

Analyst
    Home Page:
    http://www.bhaskar.tv/
    There are many reason that make computer speed slow is due to the registry files becoming corrupted, or messed up, in simple terms. These files tell the computer or laptop how to operate the software installed on the system. If any of these files get messed up, the computer is not sure what to do and this will really slow down the computer. The other scenario is where you download other software, screensavers, pictures, videos, or even music, and this will somehow change the settings on a registry file. When this happens, the original program that needs that file now has the wrong instructions in it. So, it will cause the computer to run slow, or in a worse case, crash.

15. paulanderson1548

paulanderson1548 New Member

wow guyz these are the very good tips

16. seangtz

seangtz New Member

I have tried the tips, now my system is working fast....thanks for sharing..

17. seangtz

seangtz New Member

Every day I faced the problem with my system I will try it out the tips shared ...

18. agraj1

agraj1 New Member

Hosting Service
    Home Page:
    http://www.hos1free.com
    hello,
    thank you for the information...
    one can even increase it virtual memory to make it fast, it is an optional, and only be perform when you want extra primary memory ...

19. yao847zi

yao847zi New Member

Home Page:
    http://www.wannasoft.com
    Instantly Fix Your Computer Errors by automatically diagnosing and fixing various system errors with intelligent TuneUp360 error knowledge base.

Dramatically Speed Up Your Computer and Internet by fixing all issues slowing down your computer and internet and fine-tuning your system setting to maximum performance.

Prevent Computer Freezes and Crashes by comprehensively fixing on various system errors, system conflict and mis-configuration.

Protect Your Internet Security and Privacyby tuning-up your computer security strategy to close up backdoor that can be hijacked by virus, Trojan, and spyware.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2011
  20. lalit851

lalit851 New Member

Re: notepad tricks speed up pc

Open notepad
    mystring=(80000000)

save as ram.vbe to desktop