6 ways how to prevent Gmail from hacker or phisher

Discussion in 'Ethical hacking Tips' started by Alex1239, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Alex1239

Alex1239 New Member

Student
    Home Page:
    http://techotips.com
    Nowadays, its very common to hear about various incidents of Gmail hacking by Gmail phisher. Today, online privacy is maintained only if the user is aware of various hacks used to hack email accounts. Hence, i thought of writing an article on the same topic of preventing Gmail from being hacked by hackers. Friends, i highly recommend you to read this article to prevent ur future damages.

>>What is a phisher?

Phishing is the best working method of hacking email account. The advantage of phishing in email account hacking is that victim is not able to recognise the fake page (phisher) as this phisher matches with the original page(depends on hacker skills).

So, here i have mentioned few tips which you should follow to prevent hacking of your email account by hackers. So lets start:

1. Fishing filter:

I will recommend use of browser which has phishing filter. Internet browsers like Firefox 3.0(my favorite), Internet Explorer 7, Opera 7x which contain phishing filter should be used for safe browsing.

2. Do not provide sensitive information :

Yes, this is the main thing you have to remember. Unless and until, you know the person or institute, do not give your sensitive information like userids , passwords, bank account numbers as a reply to any email. In fact, 90% emails demanding such information are meant for hacking..remember !

3. Suspicious Filters :

Check whether there are any suspicious filters not created by you. For checking ur email filters, go to Settings->Filters. If you find any such suspicious filter not created by you, delete it urgently.

4. Great offers, ads, winners :

Generally, Gmail users are deceived by emails which contain great offers, ads or declaring that u are lucky winner and you should provide listed query information to receive your cash prize. Never click or provide any information for such claiming emails.

5. Disable Forwarding and POP/IMAP :

To disable forwarding and POP/IMAP, go to Settings-> Forwarding and POP/IMAP and disable forwarding and POP/IMAP.

6. The most important :

The most important precaution which one must follow is "do not click on the link" provided in the email without knowing to which page the link will take you.I have added my personal experience of phishing and the method to determine the link target, where i received a paypal phisher, in my article Paypal phisher to hack Paypal account. One more thing, always open link given in email by typing address of site in new tab/window.

Thus, if you will follow these guidelines, i bet ur Gmail account will never be hacked by a phisher. Just remember the guidelines and prevent Gmail account from being hacked by hackers.

Enjoy HaCkInG.....:)

akelius likes this.
  2. dsouza

dsouza New Member

nice post, thanks for posting this.

3. oyeLucky

oyeLucky New Member

Does Your Article's Title match with your Content ? The instructions you have mentioned are common for all mail services almost.

4. pop3_zxcv

pop3_zxcv New Member

I will add some, may be this will help.

The only way your web email account will get hack by someone is by stealing your session cookie.

Now every browser has tab browsing. I would suggest if you are checking your web email try not to open any other website. when you finished checking your email then clear your cookie.

In Firefox : Tools-> Clear Private Data
    In IE : Tools -> Internet Options -> Delete Cookie

There is no way you could be totally safe, but you can add some precaution to your browsing habits.

For Gmail you can use option "Always use HTTPS" from gmail settings , this setting will always stick to secure (encrypted) cookie from Gmail server. Best way to use Google Crome browser which has a capability to use HTTPS only session.

5. skp819

skp819 New Member

That is good artical. It is nice information. By using this we can save form the gmail hacker.

6. NDL

NDL New Member

Home Page:
    http://www.nisal.co.nr
    im doubt on that hehe what the best thing we can do is try but there is no 100% scessful way to get rid from hacking

7. neo_vi

neo_vi Member

Software engineer
    Home Page:
    http://computertipaday.blogspot.com
    u r right man!

8. TriG0rZ

TriG0rZ New Member

always good to know this stuff, thanks for the info :D

9. shabbir

shabbir Administrator Staff Member

10. shabbir

shabbir Administrator Staff Member

11. Lizapotter

Lizapotter New Member

Web Design London
    Home Page:
    http://www.codastar.com/
    Excellent post, good tips as i am sick of emails containing great offers, ads and declaring that i am lucky winner, now i will be more aware