Go4Expert.com was down for some time this weekend

Discussion in 'Go4Expert Announcements' started by shabbir, Jan 5, 2009.

1. shabbir

shabbir Administrator Staff Member

If you happen to visit Go4Expert.com you would have seen that you are not able to browse go4expert.com this weekend for most of the time and the main reason was that there was a DDoS attack and as GoDaddy hosting firewall was not good enough we had to move the servers and so the time it took for deciding the new hosting as well as setting up the server was the main down time.

Also from the old server we managed to recover all the data and not even a single thread was deleted and thanks to whatever support GoDaddy could provide for free.

Now about the attack my personal opinion is it has something to do with the following thread.

HACKED XXxxImmortalxxXX

And also DDoS attack are considered violations of the IAB's Internet Proper Use Policy. They also commonly constitute violations of the laws of individual nations and we have give the necessary Apache logs and other ip related information to trace the attack down.

As of now we have moved to a more secured server which is less vulnerable to DDoS attack and more secured and hope this time round we would not need to anything like this again.

Check out the following Articles if you would like to know more about the attack.

Denail of Service (DoS)
    Denail of Service (DoS)
    Denial Of services [botnet] (DoS)
    Types of Attacks on Web Servers

Enjoy using the site.

2. cpulocksmith

cpulocksmith New Member

student
    i tried to go this weekend and i could not my first thought was the threat made agenst go4expert in the "HACKED XXxxImmortalxxXX" thread. but i thought this was unlikly, well guess not, lol. i am glade that the attack was mostly in vain. also did you turn the server logs and such in to the authorities? i really dont know to much about cyber crime but i think that Dos attacks are not allowed, in fact i am really sure they arnt. and also what makes your new server more secure? i ask because of two reassons. 1) curiosity lol^^, and 2)i am going to collage in the summer for internet security and investagation and i would like to know abit befor i go in so if you could tell me anything i would like that, but if for some reasson you dont think it is a good idea to let anything out about the magic server box, that is also fine.

3. shabbir

shabbir Administrator Staff Member

I am also not sure about the Law but my new host asked me to get the Apache log for the time when the attacks kept coming and they told that its against some law which they would take action against.

The new server is against a firewall specially designed for DDoS attack when any suspicious action is performed it isolates the server thus preventing the server from crashes and when the quantum of attack goes off it resumes the operation.

I can tell you its a hardware firewall as of now and we have also worked on software and OS to protect.

4. cpulocksmith

cpulocksmith New Member

student
    thanks and hopfully that keeps those bastards at bay.

5. neo_vi

neo_vi Member

Software engineer
    Home Page:
    http://computertipaday.blogspot.com
    oh. I too accessed at that time. I didn't thought about DDos. I thought that there is some problem with my connection. Oh. damn. I m shocked. Does DDos still works? those guys are damn Bas**rds man. Those guys really have potential to boast about their activity. so thats a gud idea u moved to a secured server. I cud see the IP change. Track this guy down ASAP.