Hydra Service Cracking Basics

Discussion in 'Ethical hacking Tips' started by XXxxImmortalxxXX, Jul 4, 2008.

1. XXxxImmortalxxXX

XXxxImmortalxxXX New Member

Here is one of my OOOOOOOOOOLD tutorials i made A LONG TIME ago and i never have used it since but hey it might be useful to one of you all.

sing Hydra to crack SSH/FTP/Telnet/POP3/etc. on Windows by Phoenix910

Ok, so some of you have been asking how to crack things like FTP/SSH/POP3 etc. Well, here is a quick way to do this for all you Windows users out there, provided you have a decent sized password dictionary. I personally use one of about 3.16GB in size, but for this tutorial I'm only going to use a small password list, just so you get the feel of it. First step, download hydra either from it's homepage (http://freeworld.thc.org/thc-hydra),

Make sure if you download it from its actual homepage that you choose the Windows version, as that's what this tutorial is written for. Download the zip file, extract it, and make sure you see the files below:

[​IMG]

If you do, that's good. Go to Start > Run > cmd to open the command prompt. Then change to your hydra folder using the “cd” command. For example my hydra folder was on the desktop.

Now that you've done this, it's time to execute Hydra for the first time! Sorry Windows fans, but there is only a GUI for Hydra for Linux systems, you you're gonna have to do it the old fashioned way. Never thought you'd see that happen did ya? :P Just type “hydra.exe” without quotes, and watch the result:

[​IMG]

Next, we will do a quick scan to think of some IP's to attack. I would advise Nmap. You can download it fromhttp://nmap.org – make sure to download the windows installer. Install it. Find out your IP address, so that you know a possible IP range. In the command prompt sessions, type “ipconfig” and watch the results:

[​IMG]

In my case, the range is at least 10.1.1.1-4, but I'll go from 1 to 10 just to be safe. Fire up Nmap and do a ping scan “nmap -sP 10.1.1.1-10” to see what hosts are alive, and wait for the results:

[​IMG]

Pick a host to port scan – I picked 10.1.1.1 because it is a router, and for most people the password is generally pretty simple, if not default. Port scan it using something like “nmap -sS -sV -P 0 -T5 -O 10.1.1.1” and see if it's running any services (click on the “Ports/Hosts” tab at the end for a simpler view of the services running and their ports):

[​IMG]

As I've indicated by circling, I'll be attacking the Telnet port because I know that it works, because I know you guys think Telnet is the be-all and end-all of hacking, and because the Windows version of THC-Hydra isn't compiled with LIBSSH support (unless you did it yourself), and as such I can't attack SSH – otherwise I'd be doing that instead. It's so much better. Head back to your command session, and review the output from Hydra before; it tells you the services it can crack. After looking through it, and realising that Telnet definitely is there, we can now proceed to attack it with the command “hydra -l admin -P passlist.txt 10.1.1.1 telnet” as is demonstrated here:

[​IMG]

An explanation of the command: -l admin was used because I assumed that the router would have the login of “admin”. You can use username lists as well if you wish. -P passlist.txt specified a password dictionary named “passlist.txt” - make sure to have the -P include the capital P, otherwise you'll be specifying a password to try. 10.1.1.1 is the routers IP address, and telnet is the protocol we want to attack. Now obviously we could tell it to attack that protocol on a different port, but we won't bother with that right now unless anyone else wants to see how. My dictionary only included 4 words for the purpose of this tutorial. You can see the cracked password circled at the end (which by the way, isn't my password for the router, for those of you who know how to get my IP and wanna try and break in :P). And that's how to do a basic hydra service crack on Windows.

Hope this helps any of you guys i posted images if they dont load then im terribly sry and have know idea why there not loading

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2017
  2. GreenGrass

GreenGrass New Member

nmap is really useful program thanks for another good Toturial

3. XXxxImmortalxxXX

XXxxImmortalxxXX New Member

yea i like nmap to its very helpful

4. SEO_services

SEO_services New Member

SEO services
    Home Page:
    http://sentersoftech.com/
    Explained very well and good links to it. Congratulations and thank you very much.