Windows Service : to program a software security feature

Discussion in 'C#' started by jjplaw, Jul 15, 2009.

1. jjplaw

jjplaw New Member

I want to implement a windows service that functions as a simple license security feature for a software X. The service is meant to run independently from software X.

The rough idea:
    • The service is like a timebomb for a software Z installed on the machine...
    • Whenever the user runs software X, the service pops up a window every 30 minutes to remind the user to register software X.
    • If the user doesnt register the software after 1 month, the service will change the license code in a file and kill the software X process.
    • On the next start up, software X will read the wrong license code and starts in demo mode.
    • The service backs up the license code first before changing it.
    • When the user do register, a exe or bat file will be given for the user to run. The file restores the original license file and permanently removes the service.
    Additional info:
    • Is it possible that if the user tries to kill the service, the service will automatically change license code and kill software X before being killed itself?
    • If the user changes the license code manually in the file after the service changes it, then the service will automatically change it back and kill software X.
    I'm quite the newbie in programming... so i wanna ask for advice first before jumping into the project... Any advice, tips or issues/concerns i should be aware of based on your experience?

I'll was thinking of coding it in C++ but might do it in C#(never used it before) after seeing some reviews and the amount of resources for C#.

2. jjplaw

jjplaw New Member

to clarify some important stuff i missed out:
    • this project is not at all meant for distribution/sales now or ever... its just some simple internal development/assignment that i'm trying out
    • software x is just an example.. as for this case i'm trying out on a third party software.
    • the idea is to see whether a windows service has those capabilities and to try them out...

The case that was given to me was this:

• I have full access to a colleagues PC before giving it to him/her
    • There is a particular software that the colleague have to use. Say software X.
    • There is also a particular task that the colleague have to do. For example, the task is to text me on my cell.
    • Until the colleague completes that task, everytime he/her runs software X, a windows service will keep poping up a window every 30 mins asking him to call me.
    • If the colleague still doesnt text me after one month, then the service will change the license key of software X and kill software X.
      the service will backup the license key first.
    • after the colleague texts me, i'll give him/her a file that'll restore the orginal license key and permanently remove that service.

The so called "security" feature that i'm trying to implement is something local to the PC. No connection to LAN or internet.

I'm just wondering if windows service is able to do it. Of course it doesnt have to be bullet proof. I'm just experimenting on how extensive can a windows service (or any other better method) implement that feature. This is not a commercial project T_T It's just something i want to try out...

Any comments/advice is greatly appreciated