_WIN32_WINNT undefined

Discussion in 'C' started by ever_thus, Jan 3, 2007.

1. ever_thus

ever_thus New Member

I'm starting out with Visual Studio 2005. I have an application that worked fine with the Borland bcc32 compiler, but when I compile with VS I get several errors telling me that this or that constant is undefined.

Checking the header files I found that these constants are conditionally defined depending on the value of _WIN32_WINNT. A simple test program compiles under bcc32 and VS tells me that _WIN32_WINNT is defined as 0x501 under bcc32 and undefined under VS.

I'm running Windows XP, so I assume _WIN32_WINNT should be defined to the right value. How do I make sure this is so. I could explicitly define it in my code, but this ought not be necessary.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. DaWei

DaWei New Member

Semi-retired EE
    Home Page:
    http://www.daweidesigns.com
    Have a look here. Perhaps bcc presumes too much.

3. ever_thus

ever_thus New Member

Thanks. Adding the option works. Is there any way I can tell VS to do this for all projects unless I specify otherwise.

4. DaWei

DaWei New Member

Semi-retired EE
    Home Page:
    http://www.daweidesigns.com
    Have you consulted the help files? Read your documentation? I would suggest that developing personal initiative and resourcefulness is as valuable as learning a new language. Strictly personal opinion, of course.

5. ever_thus

ever_thus New Member

Actuallly I did. And googled it. Everyone tells me to set the CL environment variable, whic I did. However I still don't see this option defined when I check the properies windows. Am I setting it in the wrong place.