Web Application programming choices.

Discussion in 'Programming' started by Polestar, Aug 13, 2007.

1. Polestar

Polestar New Member

Hello,
    I'm trying to figure out what we should use to create a front-end and back-end web app. Currently I'm leaning toward J2EE and Flex. I'm not a programmer though and would like some expert opinions. We will be creating financial software. It needs to be secure and encrypted. Flex seems like a good idea for the front because I can create the interface.

What would an expert use for a front end?
    What would an expert use for the back end? Would Python work? Too slow? J2EE a good choice? Does anyone use Coldfusion? If you've done some secure web app programming or know a lot about it, I'd really appreciate some input on what to use and why.

Thanks!
    Derrick

2. shabbir

shabbir Administrator Staff Member

JSP, PHP, ASP are the three best choices available to you and as you are in Java domain I have given JSP above PHP in precedence for you but if you ask me without any background it would be PHP, ASP and then JSP.

3. jwshepherd

jwshepherd New Member

VP Technology Corporation
    Home Page:
    http://www.officialhackers.com
    It would also help to know which platform you will be placing the website on. Like Shabbir said without any info php would be best but it is not as stable on a microsoft platform. ASP is great on windows but slows down guite a bit on Linux server with Chilisoft interpreter

4. shabbir

You should not be using the ASP on Linux until MS has some solution for it because third party will always be slower (As my personal experience is). You should always going for the combo they are meant for and tested.

5. jwshepherd

jwshepherd New Member

VP Technology Corporation
    Home Page:
    http://www.officialhackers.com
    You're absolutely right, just letting him know there would be a difference depending on the platform.

6. shabbir

I can understand that.

7. Polestar

Polestar New Member

We haven't totally decided on a platform. That's part of why I'm asking what people do.

I guess I'm really leaning against windows. I love mac os x and linux. I use linux all dat at work and mac at home. I use windows to play games. I also know a lot more about unix/linux type stuff so it is easier for me to get around.

As for the web app. I would like it to run on windows, linux and mac. It seems like java is the answer.

Thanks for all your input. Any more is very appreciated.

Derrick