Unix email question

Discussion in 'Unix' started by annemarie, Jul 3, 2008.

1. annemarie

annemarie New Member

I am wanting to process emails automatically, and didn't know if anyone had any suggestions. Our server seems to be on Unix. I want it to work similarly to the way a place like Amazon might do business... basically, I would receive an email from someone with a specific subject line (say it's says they've paid for a subscription). My email would automatically open the email and grab information from the message to store in a database (say the username and amount paid). Is there a way to do this? Obviously some places like Amazon are doing it, but I didn't know if it would be way out of my reach.

Thanks,
    AM

2. jwshepherd

jwshepherd New Member

VP Technology Corporation
    Home Page:
    http://www.officialhackers.com
    if you use outlook you could set up rules that would lauch an external program to process the data. Or you could write your own pop3 mailer program to process each email ( only useful if that's the only email you recieve on this account sales@xxx.com)

3. pradeep

pradeep Team Leader

Programmer
    Home Page:
    http://blog.pradeep.net.in
  4. annemarie

annemarie New Member

Oops... it looks like I won't be able to edit the email account code itself because of the server I'm on. Thanks anyway for your suggestions.