My ubuntu account password was changed

Discussion in 'Linux' started by liquidclient, Feb 11, 2009.

1. liquidclient

liquidclient New Member

PC Technician
    In the mist of downloading and customizing my Ubuntu Linux, my password was changed. I'm not sure as to how it happed. I was reading a tutorial on customizing the look of Ubuntu and I got to a point in the tutorial where I needed to have root permission ""sudo nautilus". So i did what the article told me to and I was denied being able to run under root at that step. The only things that I had done prior to this was installed a few new themes, icons, and I was trying to do the splash. The root account in my Ubuntu is still disabled because I did not think to enable it so I don't know what else to do. I did try this one thing I found on the web where it told me to press esc at the Grub loader and edit the Kernel, but I did not get the root prompt when it rebooted. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I am running Ubuntu 8.04 on a gateway T1625 laptop dual booted with windows Vista home premium sp1

2. neo_vi

neo_vi Member

Software engineer
    Home Page:
    http://computertipaday.blogspot.com
    do u remember the root password? if s u can try logging with that