Run-time casting error

Discussion in 'C++' started by GBoyle, Sep 11, 2010.

1. GBoyle

GBoyle New Member

I am writing a model economy in which corporations (class BCorp) and persons (class BPrsn) act as agents buying and selling goods and services. I have a pool of contacts (class BContact) in which contact information is retained about each contact between agents. In a contact object I store a pointer, which may be for a BCorp or a BPrsn, so I cast it as a (double*). When I need to access a pointer, I recast it as (BCorp*) or (BPrsn*) as appropriate.

However, at some point things get confused and the program ASSERTS(). When I use intellisense in debug mode I see the following happening:
    - I declare a BCorp* and set it to null (intellisense says it is a null BCorp*);
    - I access a pointer from a contact (a double*) and cast it to (BCorp*);
    - The moment it is so cast, intellisense now says it is a (BPrsn*) pointer, and all of the contents at that pointer become nonsensical.

The line of code in which this happens looks like this:

CorpPtr = (BCorp*) ContactPtr->GetAgentDPtr();

Here is my question: WHAT WOULD CAUSE A CAST TO FAIL, AND ASSIGN A DIFFERENT CAST, AT RUN-TIME?

2. techgeek.in

techgeek.in New Member

EOC (exploitation of computers)..i m a Terminator.
    Home Page:
    http://www.techgeek.in
    The error is due to the pointer BPrsn* .. you casted BPrsn* as (double *) and again recasted to BCorp* ...rite?? But i think that instead of (double *) u should use (void*) ....Please get back to me if i m correct..