To Read/Write data stored in a Structure to and from file.

Discussion in 'Win32' started by Gurjeet Singh Batth, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Gurjeet Singh Batth

Gurjeet Singh Batth New Member

Software Engineer
    Hi EveryBody, I am again here with a petty issue................
    Please Help me, I am a newly born programmer to MFC

To Write/Read structure on File, I wrote the following code.

Code:
    /* [B]test[/B] is a structure defined in stdafx.h*/
    	/*
    	struct [B]test[/B]
    	{
    	CString name;
    	CString age;
    	};*/

Code:
    void CFileOperationsDlg::OnBnClickedButton1()
    {
    	this->UpdateData (TRUE);
    	CFile f;
    	CFileException Fexcep;
    	test buffWrite;
            test buffRead;

buffWrite .age ="27";
    	buffWrite .name = "My Name";

f.Open ("E:\\MyFile.bcr", CFile ::modeCreate | CFile ::modeWrite  ,&Fexcep);
    	f.Write (&buffWrite,sizeof(buffWrite ));
    	f.Close ();

if(f.Open("E:\\MyFile.bcr", CFile ::modeRead ,&Fexcep) == FALSE)
    		return;
    	try
            {
    	        f.Read (&buffRead ,sizeof(buffRead ));
    	}
    	catch(CException *e)
    	{
    		e->AssertValid ();
    	}
    	f.Close ();
    }
    The Following Exception occurs when the last statement in code executes.........
    Unhandled exception at 0x7c176d3f (mfc71d.dll) in FileOperations.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0xfeeefeee.

2. zahra_d84

zahra_d84 New Member

I was faced with this problem.Who can help me make.

3. Gene Poole

Gene Poole New Member

CString is a class, not a plain old data (POD) type so it behaves differently. The MFC way to deal with this is serialization. All MFC classes derived from CObject support serialization. This is a means of taking all the typically hierarchical data stored in a class structure and converting it to a linear format more appropriate for storing in a stream. You can lookup MSDN help on serialization for more information.

Another approach is to convert the CString to POD types then store those in your file. Since CString is just a bunch of functions for string manipulation and a string buffer, a CString's complete state can be defined by the contents of it's buffer. The buffer is nothing more than a NULL terminated array of characters (either char or wchar_t depending on UNICODE settings--both POD types). You can go about this one of two ways: store an integral value representing the lenght of the string, then the characters themselves (this is sort-of how CString's internal Serialize() function works), or store all the characters and include the NULL terminator. There are advantages and disadvantages to both, so chose whichever is appropriate.

A simple implementation based on your code might look like this (added code in green):

Code:
    void CFileOperationsDlg::OnBnClickedButton1()
    {
    	this->UpdateData (TRUE);
    	CFile f;
    	CFileException Fexcep;
    	test buffWrite;
            test buffRead;
    	[COLOR="SeaGreen"]size_t sz;
    	TCHAR *buf;[/COLOR]

buffWrite .age ="27";
    	buffWrite .name = "My Name";

f.Open ("E:\\MyFile.bcr", CFile ::modeCreate | CFile ::modeWrite  ,&Fexcep);
    	[COLOR="SeaGreen"]sz=buffWrite.GetLength();
    	f.Write(&sz,sizeof(size_t));
    	f.Write(buffWrite.GetBuffer(),sz*sizeof(TCHAR));
    	//[/COLOR]f.Write (&buffWrite,sizeof(buffWrite ));
    	[COLOR="SeaGreen"]buffWrite.ReleaseBuffer();[/COLOR]
    	f.Close ();

if(f.Open("E:\\MyFile.bcr", CFile ::modeRead ,&Fexcep) == FALSE)
    		return;
    	try
            {
    	        [COLOR="SeaGreen"]f.Read(&sz,sizeof(size_t);
    	        buf=new TCHAR[sz+1];
    	        f.Read(buf,sz*sizeof(TCHAR));
    	        buf[sz]=0;
    	        buffRead.SetString(buf);
    	        delete[] buf;
    	        //[/COLOR]f.Read (&buffRead ,sizeof(buffRead ));
    	}
    	catch(CException *e)
    	{
    		e->AssertValid ();
    	}
    	f.Close ();
    }

shabbir likes this.
  4. zahra_d84

zahra_d84 New Member

many thanks for your response.i have done this work,But with the error I faced.please help me.

1>------ Build started: Project: teststring, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
    1>Compiling...
    1>teststringDlg.cpp
    1>c:\documents and settings\zahra d\desktop\project\teststring\teststring\teststringdlg.cpp(214) : error C2228: left of '.GetLength' must have class/struct/union
    1> type is 'TCHAR *'
    1>c:\documents and settings\zahra d\desktop\project\teststring\teststring\teststringdlg.cpp(216) : error C2039: 'GetBuffer' : is not a member of 'test'
    1> c:\documents and settings\zahra d\desktop\project\teststring\teststring\teststringdlg.cpp(13) : see declaration of 'test'
    1>c:\documents and settings\zahra d\desktop\project\teststring\teststring\teststringdlg.cpp(218) : error C2039: 'ReleaseBuffer' : is not a member of 'test'
    1> c:\documents and settings\zahra d\desktop\project\teststring\teststring\teststringdlg.cpp(13) : see declaration of 'test'
    1>c:\documents and settings\zahra d\desktop\project\teststring\teststring\teststringdlg.cpp(227) : warning C4267: 'argument' : conversion from 'size_t' to 'UINT', possible loss of data
    1>c:\documents and settings\zahra d\desktop\project\teststring\teststring\teststringdlg.cpp(229) : error C2039: 'SetString' : is not a member of 'test'
    1>Build log was saved at "file://c:\Documents and Settings\zahra d\Desktop\Project\teststring\teststring\Debug\BuildLog.htm"
    1>teststring - 4 error(s), 1 warning(s)
    ========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========