Question about mapping networks

Discussion in 'Ethical hacking' started by jdoldnumbr07, Jun 23, 2016.

1. jdoldnumbr07

jdoldnumbr07 New Member

Hello All,

I'm new to this forum, I hope this question hasn't already been asked.

I am currently ssh into a server. I've examined the host file and found a host I need to gain access to. I do not have root privledges on the server i'm currently on. I may not even need to gain access to the server. I just have to figure out what server I need to connect to first before I can connect to the server I found. I can not ssh to it from the current server or the last server.

for example

10.10.1.2 firstserver.net linux
    10.10.1.3 currentserver.net
    *** 10.10.1.3 targetserver.net ***

however I can't seem to figure out which server (because there are more in the host file) that I need to connect to first in order to connect to the target server. I've tried nmap and netstat and fping <- fping only works with sudoers and if you are not a sudoer the attempt gets reported, that's a very bad thing.

hope you can help! Thanks!

2. jdoldnumbr07

jdoldnumbr07 New Member

OS is Kali Linux BTW

3. Avantika Pandey

Avantika Pandey New Member

It sounds like you're trying to determine which server you need to connect to in order to access the target server, but you don't have sufficient permissions to run certain tools on the current server.

One approach you could try is to use the "traceroute" command to trace the path between the current server and the target server. Traceroute will show you the IP addresses of all the servers in the path between the two endpoints.

To use traceroute, simply run the following command:
    traceroute targetserver.net

This will display a list of all the servers between your current server and the target server, along with their IP addresses. You can then use this information to determine which server you need to connect to first in order to access the target server.

Another approach is to use the "nslookup" command to query the DNS records for the target server. This can help you determine which servers are authoritative for the target domain, which may give you a clue as to which server you need to connect to first.

To use nslookup, run the following command:
    nslookup targetserver.net

This will display the DNS records for the target domain, including the authoritative name servers. You can then use this information to determine which server you need to connect to first.

Note that both of these commands may require root privileges, so you may need to ask your system administrator for assistance if you don't have the necessary permissions.