p2p accross the internet with java

Discussion in 'Java' started by waisty, Dec 16, 2006.

1. waisty

waisty New Member

student
    Hi. I'm new to this forum, so, please forgive me if I've broken any rules. I've written a few p2p applications in java for clients that run on the same local area network. But I would like to know how to make a p2p socket connection between two computers across the internet. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. DaWei

DaWei New Member

Semi-retired EE
    Home Page:
    http://www.daweidesigns.com
    How did you do it for the LAN? In other words, what do you find to be the stumbling block?

3. waisty

waisty New Member

student
    For a Lan, the computers can ping each other, so, it is a trivial matter to create a socket connection to any listening IP on the LAN. But this would not work across the internet, unless of course one of the systems has a live IP. I want both systems to be able to communicate directly without having to rout all the information through a server. Thanks for your help

4. DaWei

DaWei New Member

Semi-retired EE
    Home Page:
    http://www.daweidesigns.com
    If you're connected to the internet, you have a live IP. It might not be a static IP. If it isn't, you have to work around that by getting one, or purchasing a service that deals with that, or have some side means of communications that makes your current, dynamic one known.

5. waisty

waisty New Member

student
    If I connect to a server with a static live IP, would that server be able to view my dynamic live IP? If not, Could you please tell me how I could make a dynamic IP known? Thanks for your help