Overcome unit tests regression problems

Discussion in 'C#' started by Trinominal, Oct 1, 2010.

1. Trinominal

Trinominal New Member

Hi,

I was looking for some kind of a solution for software development teams (C# project in my case) which spend too much time handling unit test regression problems (about 25% of the time in my case!!!), i.e., dealing with unit tests & integration tests which fails almost every week.

Most of the times, just finding the code changes which caused the test to fail requires very time consuming debug sessions, and often these code changes are not even mine, but were committed by some other team member.

I'm benchmarking solutions and methodologies to solve this annoying problem, or at least reduce it.

Following is one solution which looks promissing, which finds the code changes which caused the test to fail, even if they have been written by some other team member (watch the movie in order to understand better how this tool works):

Unit Test Regression Analysis Tool

I wanted to know if anyone knows similar tools so I can benchmark them, or even other approaches to handle this annoying problem.

It's important to mention that we're already using continuous integration, but still, it's not always helpful, since there are builds on which large change sets have been committed into the source control, and moreover, there are times when the build is not stable and compilation fails for several days, and then I'm getting the notification that the test failed a week after it really failed.

Thanks at Advanced