Normalisation help urgently!

Discussion in 'Database' started by Karly, Nov 20, 2008.

1. Karly

Karly New Member

I HAVE TO CREATE NORMALISATION IN 1NF, 2NF AND 3NF AND I AM STRUGGLING TO DO THEM CAN ANYONE HELP:

Here is the scenario i have been given:

Its for a fitness club, asked to set up a new system to keep track of members and current booking.

The club has a range of facilities, catering for all ages, all bookable in advance.

For the purpose of booking, each day is divided into 15 sessions. Each session lasts for one hour. The club opens at 7.00 am and closes at 10pm.

Members are divided into catergories

Junior - 12-16
    Intermidiate 16- 18
    Adult - Standard - all session
    Adult - Restricted - off peak sessions only

Members of the the club can book the facilites for one or more session, for which a charge is mafe, Costs for each facility differ, These costs are to be recorded in the database.

Junior and Intermediate catergories receive 10% reduction from the standard rate. Adult restricted memebers receive a 25% reduction from the standard rate.

Can anyone help thanks!

2. skp819

skp819 New Member

There is an algorithm that normalizes the database to 3rd Normal Form with dependency preservation and losseless join. It is based on the minimal cover of functional dependencies of a relation.

My question is: is there any program written in C++ or any other programming languages that implement this algorithm?

Algorithm says:
    1-Find a minimal cover G of the set of functional dependencies of R
    2- Design schemas Ri(X,Ai) for each X->Ai in G with X the key
    3- If no R has a key of R, then create a schema containing all attributes of the key