Job - General Information

Discussion in 'Programming' started by pyro 214, Feb 11, 2007.

1. pyro 214

pyro 214 New Member

Im queit new to programming, and currently taking my first year engineering at a college.
    During engineering i had to take a programming course and i like it quiet a bit, so im looking at getting a degree in a programming related field.

No clue what i should transfer into next year (im willing to take up to 8 years of school):
    software engineering or programming?

initially i thought programmers didnt make much over 40k a year, so the only way to achieve a paycheck of 60k+ a year (what id like to have) was only possible as a software engineer (and i already have 1st year engineering under my belt). Im also wondering what the working conditions for each job is like. I tried looking on the internet for some answers but i could never get a straight answer, so i thought i would come to the people who knew what they were talking about ;)

So my main questions are (C++ programmer Vs. software engineer...in general):

-what would the average income of a C++ programmer and software engineer be after having a degree in there specified field as well as co-op jobs along the way.

-how hard is it to get a job between the two?

-how stable are the jobs ?

any other advice would be greatly appreciated :)

2. shabbir

shabbir Administrator Staff Member

I would go for what I would love to be doing and so I would go for C++ jobs and not opting for the Sal factor to start with as that could lead to a situation where I may not enjoy.
    If you know the thing its not that difficult
    That can be answered when it comes to industry going down. Still the movement is upward.

3. akumcp

akumcp New Member

hello sir
    i have complete ccna traning and mcp w2k passsed and good work exp. in hardware fild so sugees me about it job
    tnx