Should one install all versions of .Net Framework?

Discussion in 'C#' started by tech_girl, Jun 6, 2010.

1. tech_girl

tech_girl New Member

Recently I have downloaded and installed .Net Framework 2.0 and its corresponding SDK. If I were to install Visual Studio 2010, I will need to install .Net Framework 4.0 first. Is it necessary to install .Net Framework 3.0-3.5 and service packs at all?

2. shabbir

shabbir Administrator Staff Member

Latest is fine unless you have some application which works only on some backdated versions

fixo likes this.
  3. tech_girl

tech_girl New Member

Currently I have a ThinkPad x60 which .Net Framework 1.1 and 2.0 comes pre-installed. I have been tying to install the Service Pack 1 but to no avail. From the event viewer, I can see some errors being logged.

If I were to installed Visual C# 2005, can I get the application to point to 3.5 instead?

Also I read that to implement 3.5 I need to make sure that the previous versions need to be installed. If I dont install the service packs of 2.0, what is the impact?

4. muthuis

muthuis New Member

Home Page:
    http://www.codersource.net
    I had similar issues before. It is too difficult to tell unless there is a log attached.

Most often if you read the log completely,you'll find out yourself by googling it.