i need some help with a program...pain...

Discussion in 'C' started by cpulocksmith, Nov 26, 2008.

1. cpulocksmith

cpulocksmith New Member

student
    ok well... my girlfriend is going to collage for video game development. (looks like an ok course) but there is one thing really standing in her way. see is missing one thing for here applecation. she needs to incorperate art into a program, to prove that she posesses both computer skills and artistic skills. well, my girl friend is no staranger to the computer but when it comes to programing she is kinda, well she got to about
    #incule <. ..
    and thats it. i know she could learn but she really has no disiare too. she will have to learn in collage but she will only be tought a minamal amount. she wants to be a consept artist, or a textural disian artest... or somthing so she really does not care about by beloved art of programming. although i think knowing some programing would help her in the cereer path simply for having it on a resume. why hire a artist, when yo can hire and artist that can code. anyway enough about my life.
    she came to me asking if i could make a program that she could put her art into to. i will teach her the programing behind it and make her code at least some of it, so you dont cheat people will leave me alone. but the program she wants to make looks fairly straght forward, but there are some things about it that i just dont know how to do. well i guess i could start by telling you what this program is that she requested. ...she wants me to make a dating sim...sigh... and of coaure she wants to keep it a clean one, not an H game. i know i can handle all the inner workings like point systems and things like that but what i dont know is how to put graphic into the damn thing. i am sure that most of you know what a dating sim is and if you dont all the graphics really constist of is a non moving 2d background image, a 2d non moving person in the forground and the little chat bar at the bottom. i dont think this to be too extremely diffecult but i really have no clue when it comes to graphics. so please if some one has a tut or knows where one is or some examples like a code of a program that uses graphic would be great.

thanks locksmith.

--also, anyone notice that about 80% of my post start with "well ok"... hmmmm...

2. xpi0t0s

xpi0t0s Mentor

Senior Support Engineer
    well ok ok ok well well :) , if she's not interested in programming then she's not going to make a good programmer; you need persistence and dedication, both of which are difficult to rustle up if you're not interested. Problem with us geeks is that because we're interested and have the required qualities, not only do we think it's easy and make it look easy, we make people feel like idiots because they don't find it as easy as we do and of course they trip up half way through the first #include because they haven't got a clue what needs including and why. We're probably techie equivalents of lawyers in terms of boredom threshold and persistence and the sheer ability to wade through 100,000s of lines of code and obviously not everyone is cut out to be a lawyer.

She should talk to the college and find out if there's another course more suited to her. Probably she's only doing the programming stuff because of you and not because she wants to, and if she's not cut out for it then she's not going to be happy. Maybe a computer games course needs dedicated artists but my guess is that most people on that course will be programmers first with some (limited) artistic talent, not the other way round and so that's how the course content will be designed.

So maybe she'd be better off going on some arty-farty course designed for what she really wants to do and later on, if she's still interested, slanting that towards the computer games industry. Games companies need artists and often don't care whether they can program or not, the programmers can pick up their drawings and code them up appropriately. A company I worked for a while back hired an artist for some fancy buttons - I was a coder at the time - and it didn't matter the slightest if the artist couldn't code, only that he was able to work within the limits we gave him "the buttons are this size and can use this many colours, and we need several variations so we can pick the one we like best".

So don't pressure her to do what you like doing, encourage her to do what she likes doing instead. Don't underestimate the difficulty of programming and don't sell it to her as an easy discipline.