why should i choose java over others?

Discussion in 'Java' started by docesam, Aug 28, 2009.

1. docesam

docesam New Member

i came across two high level programming languages :python and ruby.
    they are cross platform,just like java. they are very productive ( a programmer can write a program using python in less than quarter the time you need to write the same program in java). they have have -more or less- all the features you need to make your life easy.

my question is : why then should me ,you and everybody sacrifice productivity and go for java instead ? what does java has that make it more favorable?

2. Gagan heer

Gagan heer New Member

The area of programming is very wide,and java is the language in which we have to do programming without any kind of help.If a person do java he can be master of the programming nd its not tough for him to do programming in other languages..

3. xpi0t0s

xpi0t0s Mentor

Senior Support Engineer
    Different tools for different jobs, and you would pick Java over Python because you have a problem that is better solved with Java than with Python - same reason you pick a hammer over a drill for when you want to bang a nail in.

> a programmer can write a program using python in less than quarter the time you need to write the same program in java

That is absolute nonsense for any reasonably sized application. It may be true for trivial "hello world" programs but for normal applications with 1000s of lines of code and more, the amount of time spent on the language details is tiny compared with the amount of time sorting out the application logic.

shabbir likes this.
  4. devunion

devunion New Member

Really? You can compare Java and C++. The same difference is between Java and Python.

2 docesam: At this time Python-based web wrameworks not so popular as Java-based. Java can be better for large projects which need to be supported for a long time after development. It can be difficult to support tricky Python code which was created in functional style.

BTW, you can compare Erlang, ARC, Schema and Python and ask yourself this question. Why you should to use Python instead of These languages? :)

5. Scripting

Scripting John Hoder

School for life
    simply answer is - YOU SHOLDN'T

6. atsukoarai86

atsukoarai86 New Member

systems analyst / db developer
    Personally, I would say C++ is the language in which we have to do programming without any kind of help. Java does way so much more for you than C++ does.

Also, I do agree that writing in a more "pure" programming language such as Java or C++ just makes you a better more well rounded programmer.