Help!! Nothing saves on my laptop!!!

Discussion in 'Windows' started by discoplacebo, Feb 17, 2009.

1. discoplacebo

discoplacebo New Member

Help!!!
    First off, im not the greatest at all with computers, so bare with me im slowly teaching myself...

ok, last week i bought a HP compaq nx9110 off this guy (im assuming stolen) for $100..

thing is everytime i turn it off everything that i have done is wiped cleaned, like it was restored back to the way it was before i changed anything.

i looked over the programs, and did not see any ghost programs or anything of that sort.

i restarted the computer and pressed f10 during boot to get to the BIOS and it asked for a password, 3 trys locked out. i googled the default password settings for PhenioxBIOS tried them all, nothing worked...

i put in an XP black OS and restarted to see if i couldnt just install a new operating system to see if that would help, and then i see that when i insert a cd it turns the pointer into a CD symble for a few seconds and then nothing...

im not the smartest guy when it comes to computers, but i have messed around with a few and i have never seen anything like this..

im sure if i could get into the BIOS i could possibly change something?! maybe?! or am i just wasting my time trying to get in there?

i would just like to be able to save stuff. i diddnt mind at first, just a 100 dollar computer, but now its just getting annoying..

if you need any more info on the laptop let me know i will try and find it.

i hope someone can help, otherwise im pretty much out 100 bucks...

thanks!

btw, i have tried to take it apart and look for the BIOS battery, HOLY CRAP! i had pieces EVERYWHERE!!! ive taken apart and put together pc's, but i had no idea laptops were that much of a frikin labyrinth!!!!!!

good news is i did manage to get it back together, and working...

still with the same problem though...

2. shabbir

shabbir Administrator Staff Member

Format and Load the OS again as you have no Data on the Disk or any such things.

3. discoplacebo

discoplacebo New Member

when i right click the disc and press format i just get a message that says "unable to format disc"

im now at work so i dont have the computer close by.

like i said im pretty much just a beginner at this whole thing, i know there were two discs, one said that when i tried, another DID format, but absoultly nothing happened.. that one was named "THAWSPACE" if that means anything?

also is there anyplace i can go and just readdddd all about this stuff.

im really computer 'tarded...

4. shabbir

No thats not the way you can format your system drive.

You would need a bootable OS Disk and then use that disk to format you main system drive and create partitions.

5. discoplacebo

discoplacebo New Member

i think i have some windows vista disc that came with my other pc, and i have some windows black? or something a friend gave me? but the disc tray wont work, when i put something in it acts like there is something in there but it wont let me get to it...

6. shabbir

I guess you need to take it to some tech people and make it work correctly. Looks like there is more than one problem.

7. discoplacebo

discoplacebo New Member

i think its all caused by the same problem, like its being told to do all of this by some magical program that i just cant see!

8. neo_vi

neo_vi Member

Software engineer
    Home Page:
    http://computertipaday.blogspot.com
    jus take a linux bootable CD/DVD and wipe off the harddisk and load linux. If u re not much familiar with using linux, use ubuntu, its very user friendly. and if u can see the hardware specs of ur computer post it here so that u can get much relevant answer.

9. xpi0t0s

xpi0t0s Mentor

Senior Support Engineer
    It's one thing buying a computer from a dodgy source when you know what you're doing.
    If you're a beginner then you're an idiot if you don't buy from a reputable dealer. Yes you won't get as high a spec as when you buy knocked off gear but you at least have someone to ask or take it back to when stuff goes wrong. It's likely to cost you a lot more than if you'd bought the laptop from a reputable dealer in the first place.

Hmm, thawspace - yes, that would explain the problem. You've got DeepFreeze installed which is designed to reset the computer to the previous settings each time it is booted. Good for solving malware problems but yet something more for you to get a handle on, when you want to do updates or install software you want to keep, you have to thaw and refreeze the drive, and if you don't watch out that's when nasties can get in and then you're stuck with them. Don't know much about it in detail but google Deep Freeze and you'll find plenty of stuff. ThawSpace is somewhere you can put stuff where it won't get reset on each boot.

It's possible that just uninstalling Deep Freeze will solve the problem (unless you want to keep that).

If you haven't got past the BIOS password yet then you'll have to find and disconnect the battery backup - that's a coin battery on the motherboard, not the laptop main battery. That'll reset the CMOS settings which may have further implications, depends how up to date the BIOS is.

10. discoplacebo

discoplacebo New Member

yeah man i know, i mean i already have a great pc the deal was just on the table, i checked it out and it seemed to work fine. i knew there was that chance of something like this happening, but at least it was not a big loss.

i let a buddy take it home who SAYS he knows what hes doing.. we will see how that goes... when i get it back ill post what ever you need to know neo_vi, i can access pretty much everything, i just cant save anything..

so it would not be possible run a program off the thawspace? really the ONLY thing i need the laptop for is just for something to do at my work..

11. neo_vi

neo_vi Member

Software engineer
    Home Page:
    http://computertipaday.blogspot.com
    The best way is take ur laptop to a good service personnel, and ask him to reset ur BIOS. then boot with any OS and wipe off all the things in ur harddrive . I hope it will cost less than $100.

12. xpi0t0s

xpi0t0s Mentor

Senior Support Engineer
    I don't know much about Deep Freeze; only came across it as a result of another thread on this forum which prompted a spot of Googling. I understand ThawSpace is somewhere you can put stuff that will not be reset on boot, but any software installed would have to be installed completely on the thawspace with nothing added to the main drive, not to the registry or anything, which will rule out most programs that use the standard installation method of messing with at least 200,000 different parts of the hard disk. But as I understand it you can use a frozen program to create a file that you then keep on the thawspace. You'd have to RTF Deep Freeze M for more details on what you can do.