Need help overcoming Permission denied error for vb script in Vista

Discussion in 'Visual Basic ( VB )' started by SimonG, Jun 24, 2010.

1. SimonG

SimonG New Member

Home Page:
    http://www.beyondbeige.co.uk
    Hi,

I am writing script that will refresh a users environment (desktop and start menu) with master copies. Using wsh and vb I have a routine to replace the folders and files; but when ran on Vista the routine returns a runtime error: code 800A0046 Permission denied. Can anyone advise what I am missing to get the script to work?

The script is ran manually by an administrator user.

To try and overcome the premissions problem I run the following* before trying to remove the old files:
    Code:
    Function SetPermissions(strChangeFolder, strUser, strRights)
    Dim strHome
    Dim intRunError, objShell, objFSO

Set objShell = CreateObject("Wscript.Shell")
    Set objFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
    If objFSO.FolderExists(strChangeFolder) Then
         intRunError = objShell.Run("%COMSPEC% /c Echo Y| cacls " & _
              strChangeFolder & " /e /c /g " & _
              strUser & ":" & strRights, 2, True)
         If intRunError <> 0 Then
              reply = MsgBox ("Error assigning permissions for user " & strUser & Chr(13) & _
                   " to folder: " & Chr(13) & _
                   strChangeFolder, _
                   16,"Refresh")
         End If
    End If
    End Function

The routine is passed the username of the administrator, and F as the required rights. Although the intRunError returns 0, the rights on the the target folder do not appear to be changed (looking through Windows Explorer).

As a final sanity check I can complete the scripts tasks manually using Explorer. Doing this when I first attempt to open the target folder (eg the users desktop folder) Explorer first tells me I have no rights and asks me to confirm that I am an administrator, once this is done the rest of the tasks can be completed.

* Code based on recommendations in the posting "How to set folder permissions with VBScript" on this forum (sorry - new to board so can't link yet)

Windows version: Vista Business SP2 32-bit