Google to target over optimized sites

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization (SEO)' started by ozsubasi, Mar 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shabbir

shabbir Administrator Staff Member

You need to understand what they are doing but that should not be the only focus.

Studying the marketing campaign of Pepsi and Coke of few decades ago when Pepsi was new player would help. Quoting lot of things from memory and so bear with me. Pepsi instead of competing with coke (the major player in the market) focused on its own performance month on month / quarter on quarter and we all know what Pepsi is today.

2. jeremyc

jeremyc New Member

Sales & Marketing
    I have to agree … if company ignore to improve the performance of its existing services then it doesn't matter how much time it spends on the competitors analysis. In my opinion, social media is real place for marketing (not for link dropping) because you can get in touch with your clients as well as potential customers.

And when it comes to the SEO then one thing need be mentioned, it is a practice and we'll have to determine what type of methods are really effective rather than using each tips available on the Internet.

3. ozsubasi

ozsubasi New Member

Real Estate
    Home Page:
    http://www.turkeypropertyaltinkum.co.uk
    Hmmmm - I made a comment that I didn't know whether my competitors traffic had been affected, and a further one that it can be
    useful to keep an eye on what the competion is doing, and from that we have somehow ended with the need to say:
    "if company ignore to improve the performance of its existing services then it doesn't matter how much time it spends on the
    competitors analysis"

Can I state for the record that I have never suggested that the best thing a business can do is ignore its own performance and concentrate on what the competition is doing?
    I don't know about you guys but I don't find it a strain to focus on my own site but also to be aware of what my competitors are up to.
    I also stop for a short lunch and have Sundays off :)

4. ozsubasi

ozsubasi New Member

Real Estate
    Home Page:
    I have just had a very good example of this.Three days ago I reported in this thread that I had just had some good SERP figures.
    Usually I check once a week but there was something I wanted to look at yesterday afternoon so I ran another check.
    My rankings had plummetted, so for example the one keyword which had occupied the No1 position had dropped to No.16, and others had dropped as well in the country I was targetting. However, when I checked for another country they had stayed more or less the same.
    I did some manual checking in case there was an error with the tool I was using, but found that it was correct.
    This morning I checked yet again, and the rankings have all gone back up to about where they were three days ago.

5. shabbir

Many of my clients have seen messages like this as well.
    Clearly suggesting Google is targeting sites that has outgoing links.

6. ozsubasi

ozsubasi New Member

Real Estate
    Home Page:
    Isn't it incoming links that is the problem rather than outgoing? Or do you think that these links have been picked up from "bad neighborhood" sites and the warnings have been sent to the sites they link to?

7. shabbir

No No. Lets say my blog imtips.co is having links that Google thinks is inappropriate and is for manipulating the Google's SERPs. So Google warns me saying you remove them or your pages having those links is de-indexed and things like those.

So it is not about incoming or outgoing but it is those links that Google thinks are not related and means those pages are de-indexed and so eventually the sites getting those links would have SE positions impact. The pages that are de-indexed are impacted in SERP's as well as sites that are ranking because of those links as well.

8. ozsubasi

ozsubasi New Member

Real Estate
    Home Page:
    Ok, I understand the principle behind what you are saying. My point is that this warning says "Specifically, look for possibly artificial or unnatural links pointing to your site"
    A link pointing to your site is an incoming link, i.e. from someone else's site to yours.
    So to get them removed means contacting the sites where they are placed, and asking the site owner to delete them.
    In recognition that this could be difficult, the warning also says to contact Google "If you find unnatural links to your site that you are unable to control or remove".
    In my opinion this warning is specifically for sites with bad incoming links, because it does not say anything about removing any outgoing links.
    What I was wondering in my question to you was if for example I had paid for links or got them from a link farm, Google had identified the site that was supplying them and sent warnings to all the sites that they were linking out to i.e. the sites that had incoming links from them.
    I think they would send a different warning (or simply de-index) the sites with the outgoing links.
    I hope that makes sense, because I think I have confused myself now:)

9. shabbir

Changes in Google can confuse lot of people but if you are not buying links you should be fine for these emails.

10. ozsubasi

ozsubasi New Member

Real Estate
    Home Page:
    Penguin hit on 24 April so this thread discussing the possibility of it is no longer relevant.
    Closed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.