How to extract some part of a C++ project as a new sub project?

Discussion in 'C++' started by ahrouhi, Apr 18, 2012.

1. ahrouhi

ahrouhi New Member

Student/Research
    Hi
    I am dealing with an open source software which is named JM. It is in form of c++ .net project. I need just some part of this project to do my specific request which is a sub part of the total project. do you have any suggestion for performing this? how can i detect the .c and .h related programs in the main project, that can do only my specific need?
    Thanks for your prompt reply.

2. xpi0t0s

xpi0t0s Mentor

Senior Support Engineer
    Why not use the full application, but only use the bits of functionality that you need?

3. ahrouhi

ahrouhi New Member

Student/Research
    Because the time consummation is very important for me and if i cancel those parts that i dont need, then i can save time and use my program for huge bank of data.

4. xpi0t0s

xpi0t0s Mentor

Senior Support Engineer
    In that case a sanity check is needed. How much data is your "huge bank of data", and how do you know that removing bits of the application will reduce the processing time?

Have you performed any test runs of the full application on a sample of data to see how long it takes?

From that you can scale up to an estimate of the total time for all the data. For example if 0.1% of your data takes it 10 minutes to process, then the full data set will take 1000 times that, i.e. 10,000 minutes, which is just under 7 days, and there's a good chance it will take you far longer than 7 days to modify the program just to remove unwanted bits. Ignoring extra functionality is the best solution here, where "best" is defined as "shortest time to a solution".