What is the easiest and cheapest way to network 2 home computers

Discussion in 'Gadget Analysis' started by seangtz, Jul 26, 2008.

1. seangtz

seangtz New Member

Well, I have got 2 comps one is a dual pent 3 cpu server with windows 2000 the other is a reg pent 4 with windows xp. I wish to connect them both not for internet just for file sharing and playing games,what is the easiest & cheapest way to do this........... I am a noob so could some one explain this to me like i'm a retard without any jargon keep it plain a simple.....thnx

2. xpi0t0s

xpi0t0s Mentor

Senior Support Engineer
    If they both have ethernet sockets on the mainboard (many do) just get a crossover ethernet cable and link the two directly.
    If it's for games though sooner or later you're bound to want to expand it so a 4-way hub with two cables for your computers and a couple of spares for friends can be had cheaply.
    Ethernet cards are not expensive since there are so many of them floating around. So if you haven't got ethernet built in then get 2 cards and either the box or the xover cable. Make sure you get a driver disk, my experience of buying stuff without driver disks is that they just don't work.

3. SpOonWiZaRd

SpOonWiZaRd Know what you can do.

Network Engineer/Programmer
    Ethernet is the cheapest you can go. Its a stable and mature technology with concurrent data transfer rates.