DirectX

Discussion in 'C++' started by Michael432000, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Michael432000

Michael432000 New Member

Hi everyone!

All I want to do is work through a DirectX tutorial, any tutorial, but I can’t believe how much trouble this has caused me.

Ok, I should point out that I am a beginner. I’ve spent two months learning VB with 2010 Express and am now learning c++ using 2010 Express IDE.

I seem to pick up the coding side pretty quickly but as soon as I have to delve into any systems type stuff I’m completely lost.

I’m running XP pro SP3 x86 on an ancient Dell 4100

I’ve downloaded the latest DirectX SDK (June 2010), which says compatible with XP.

When I run dxdiag, all the graphics tests run correctly.

The version shows as DirectX 9.0c

The files like d3d9.dll show up and they are in: c:\Windows\system32
    The ones like Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.dll are in: C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\DirectX for Managed Code\1.0.2902.0

I’ve no idea what the difference between these two distinct groups is.

Anyway, trying to reference the Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D dll’s manually in VB Express made my PC hang with an unending delay notification and I got no further, which is why I have started to learn c++.

Then I tried the DirectX SDK samples, which are in c++.

When I copy Tutorial01 and compile it in c++ 2010 Express I get d3d11.dll not found.

There is a D3D11Ref.dll in system32 lib and in C:\Program Files\Microsoft DirectX SDK (June 2010)\Developer Runtime\x86

Somebody else on this forum posted about this four months ago, which is how I found you and why I posted in this section. He eventually got himself sorted but the instructions given were above my head.

I’ve spent days trying to get into DirectX and haven’t got anywhere so would be grateful for a shove in the right direction.

Thank you.