Customizing Query

Discussion in 'Database' started by srinivas_puppala, May 5, 2006.

1. srinivas_puppala

srinivas_puppala New Member

hi,

Iam Srinivas working as a programmer.I want approach regarding customizing Query for any database.I will clearly explain...

Sometimes we don't which database the client is using,he may use SQLServer,MYSQL,MS Access,Oracle.So i want to customize my query for all these databases i.e The Query i have written should insert or retrieve data from any of these databases.

So what is the approach i should follow ,is there any query builder to generalise Queries.Plz give me answers quickly because i got very less time and i need to start my project as soon as i get the answer for this.

Regards
    Sreenivasu Puppala

2. shabbir

shabbir Administrator Staff Member

Welcome to g4ef
    Its better if you clear out with the clients as to what database he will be using so that you can use the more customized property of the databases that they support. What I meant is for eg. if its Oracle you can take the help of ROWID where as for SQL server its not there but you can always use ANSI SQL queries to do your job or atleast start with it.

3. coderzone

coderzone Super Moderator

If you look at the article by shabbir about [thread=323]Delete duplicate rows from Oracle[/thread] you will realize the power of each of them and why you should be using them as much as possible. Also if you can use PL/SQL or T-SQL of Oracle / SQL Server your application will be much more efficient and so concentrating on general queries is good to start off but not a good solution for optimal performances.