CreateFileMapping always returns ERROR_ALREADY_EXISTS

Discussion in 'Win32' started by timr, Oct 1, 2006.

1. timr

timr New Member

I'm debugging problem with an application that memory maps a file for use as an inter process comm buffer. The call

HANDLE h = CreateFileMapping((HANDLE) 0xFFFFFFFF,NULL,PAGE_READWRITE,0,SHARED_MEM_SIZE,"TheMappedObject");

always returns successful with a handle, but when I call GetLastError() it identifies the file as already existing. This occurs even after a reboot of the computer. The trouble is, the memory size of the returned handle's object is limited to 4096 bytes, not the SHARED_MEM_SIZE specified in the call (which is 32k). So when the file is mapped, any access beyond 4096 bytes causes a crash/exception.

The functional calls worked for quite a few months before this problem appeared. Some users of this application (though not many) also report a problem that I believe is directly associated with this issue.

Does anyone know about this type of issue? . Is there a way of forcing the memory mapped file to be deleted or purged before starting the application? Can you find all open handles given the memory mapped name?

thanks.