how to create internal search engine for retail business?

Discussion in 'PHP' started by 1989, Nov 17, 2009.

1. 1989

1989 New Member

I am starting a new company and am trying to create an internal search engine that will display not only written results but also a picture. I would ideally have it look similar to that in amazon.com / walmart.com

How should I go about making this search engine?

What type of code should I use?

Is there already a service that helps me do this?

Much much thanks for your help!

2. shabbir

shabbir Administrator Staff Member

If you are trying to search your own database then you should perform the select statement based on some meta data like tags / text.

3. urstop

urstop New Member

If all the required data is in the database, you can just use SQL to get the results out and display in whatever way you want, like putting pictures, adding buy buttons , adding add to cart etc.

But if you do not have any database with the products then you will have to write an app, which goes thru your sites static code and put it in the database in such a way that it can be searched by the users.

If you are planning to open a site for selling products, then you should go with the first approach, as thats how amazon/walmart does.