Controlling external application from a VC++/MFC program

Discussion in 'MFC' started by mssumesh, Oct 14, 2006.

1. mssumesh

mssumesh New Member

Hi,

I have a program(in VC++) which will run another external application.

I should be able to control the ext. application using my program, including positioning of the app inside the GUI provided by my program, data exchange etc.

That means, the external application should fit inside the GUI framework(for eg. a panel) provided by my VC++/MFC program. The external application may be an MFC app or a non-NFC app. I am trying to run the external application using CreateProcess method. I have tried to do the same using ShellExecute command. But of them are executing the ext. app, but not inside the GUI provided by the calling process, somewhere in an arbitrary location.

Also I need to know how to communicate with the ext. app for data exchange and event passing etc.

How to achieve this. Please help me.

Thanks in advance,

Regards,
    Sumesh

2. shabbir

shabbir Administrator Staff Member

You cannot control the GUI of the external application unless the application provides by some means specially the command line or some registry keys.

Regarding the communication you can post message of some events of the external application like button click ... other things or any other messages which you know would do the necessary jobs.