computer science 2nd degree ?

Discussion in 'Jobs And Career Discussion' started by mattjtayl@yahoo.com, Nov 3, 2006.

1. mattjtayl@yahoo.com

mattjtayl@yahoo.com New Member

I recieved a BS in Information Systems about 3 years and I have been working as a help desk technician. Back then I was told I didn't need a computer science degree to be a programmer, while that may be true I am discovery that a computer science degree is preferred or required for many programming jobs in C++. There is the usual "must have a degree in computer science, engineering, math, or equivalence." Information Systems is not equivalence one employer told me. The only jobs I can actually get with this degree is help desk, networking, website developer, or SQL developer.

I have been working help desk the past 3 years, but I really want to be a C++ programmer. I have the usual certifications A+, Network+, MCP, but these only helped me land a job as a help desk technician.

Part of it is just an interest to take some of the computer science classes. I have studied alogrithms on my own and am addicted to it. I had a semester of calculus, but only got a B in the class. After studing alogrithms I am starting to love math.

If I can't get accepted into a computer science program then I might get a BA in Math or a certification to teach math. From there I might be able to get into an applied computer science program.

How I could do this and work full-time I don't know, and I doubt there is any part-time computer science programs available. Not to mention how long this would take.

I am learning the hard way it is a lot easier to switch from a computer science degree than for an information systems graduate to switch into computer science. A computer science graduate could probally get a masters in Information Systems in 1 year. I wish I could turn back the clock and redo college, but most people only have time to get it right once. If you pick the wrong major, your loss pal deal with it.