Problem w/ classes in C

Discussion in 'C' started by Earl Kulog, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Earl Kulog

Earl Kulog New Member

Hey guys out there! Hope we're all just fine today. Wanna help me some problem? Here it is...

In C++, you write a code something like this:

class CMyClass {
    public:
    CMyClass();
    ~CMyClass();
    int m_attrib;
    private:
    static LONG m_privAttrib;
    };

And you define it and access its members like this:

LONG CMyClass::m_privAttrib;

CMyClass::CMyClass()
    {
    }

CMyClass::~CMyClass()
    {
    }

But I can't write my code that way in C. I love C being a straightforward language but I love the way I used to in writing my classes in C++. Is there some work around to bail me out of this problem?

Malaking pasasalamat.

2. shabbir

shabbir Administrator Staff Member

You submitted the query as article and I have moved it to forum for discussion.

Also there is a difference in C and C++ which you have to accept it.

3. xpi0t0s

xpi0t0s Mentor

Senior Support Engineer
    It's harder to use classes in C because the language doesn't fully support object programming.
    But you can do object-style programming; use struct instead of class and you can create an "object" with member functions and attributes. I don't think C supports private or protected struct members, and it certainly doesn't support the virtual keyword so good luck with your manual implementation of the virtual function table. C also doesn't support overloaded function names or operators, and for proper object-style encapsulation you'll have to limit yourself to one class per C file and use "static" a lot. And lots of void pointers. And by the way there is no "this" pointer in C.

So while you can do object oriented programming in C it definitely won't be the same way you write C++ programs, unless you get some kind of C++ to C precompiler (which is all C++ was in the early days; I think Bjarne called it "C with classes"), and if you're going to do that then you may as well stick with the C++ compiler.