Calling a JSP with different parameters

Discussion in 'JSP' started by macaroni, May 14, 2012.

1. macaroni

macaroni New Member

Hello people,
    i would like to know how to call a JSP-file with different parameters so that I can use it as a blueprint for several webpages in my project.

My project is quite simple and only for learning purposes:
    I have a start page with several cooking recipes. If I click on one of those recipes I will get a detailed view of the recipe, which includes some text and an image.
    However, I don't want to create a new jsp-file for every recipe, because all recipes have the same layout. Instead, I want to use one and the same jsp-file for an arbitrary amount of recipes. The content of those recipes should be located in one or several XML-files.

I couldn't find a good example on the internet, so I would be very happy if someone could help me here.

2. meenal deshpande

meenal deshpande New Member

You can only invoke methods with arguments in EL if you're targeting and running a Servlet 3.0 compatible container (e.g. Tomcat 7, Glassfish 3, JBoss AS 6, etc) with a web.xml declared conform Servlet 3.0. This servlet version comes along with EL 2.2 which allows invoking arbitrary instance methods with arguments.

Assuming that you've a ${bean} in the scope which refers to an instance of a class which has a method something like public Object[] getArray(String key), then you should be able to do this:

<c:forEach items="${bean.getArray('foo')}" var="item">
    ${item} <br />
    </c:forEach>
    or even with another variable as argument

<c:forEach items="${bean.getArray(foo)}" var="item">
    ${item} <br />
    </c:forEach>