cain and abel

Discussion in 'Ethical hacking' started by Dopeman1992, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Dopeman1992

Dopeman1992 New Member

hello peeps, i'm new on here and i've got no idea as to where i ask things, but until i find out i just want to ask what does this mean ". . .Please note that since your machine has not the same performance of a router you could cause DoS if you set APR between your Default Gateway and all other hosts on your LAN". i know what APR is but what does it mean when it says "if you set APR between your Default Gateway and all other hosts on your LAN

all help much appreciated

cheers, dopeman1992

2. SpOonWiZaRd

SpOonWiZaRd Know what you can do.

Network Engineer/Programmer
    That means that you have sniffed alot more than what your network can handle, or it can be that you have a slower network card in you computer like 10mbps where the rest of the network runs at 100mbps or faster and now you try to sniff using APR poisoning, so what you must do is set your cain and abel to only sniff between certain computers and the gateway and not all the computers and the gateway, the whole network will stop to respond to any service because APR poisoning generates alot of extra traffic (ALOT!) and thus all the requests on the network will timeout! All you can do is to stop sniffing for a while and then start again after a while just to give the network some time to breathe again. DoS stands for Denial of Service and APR is a method of hijacking IP traffic, read the help file of cain and abel to get more info on how to use it and what it does, you can also read my article on DoS attacks.