Making a C function pointer work with C-style stack based calling mechanics in C++

Discussion in 'C++' started by mani8899, May 24, 2011.

1. mani8899

mani8899 New Member

I want to call a pure C style function from a dll in my C++ program. I tried casting my function pointer using reinterpret_cast to __cdecl and still the calling convention of _stdcall seems to be preserved. I am new to Windows C++ programming.

This is my C++ call
    Code:
    reinterpret_cast< Error ( __cdecl*)(int,int)> (GetProcAddress(Mydll::GetInstance()->ReturnDLLInstance(), "add"))(1,10)
    actual function in the dll is

Code:
    Error __cdecl add(int,int);
    Debugger throws me the error run time check failure #0. I am working in Windows-C++. Also I am exporting functions from my dll and I dont have access to my C files.

2. xpi0t0s

xpi0t0s Mentor

Senior Support Engineer
    Re: Making a C function pointer work with C-style stack based calling mechanics in C+

Usually to call C from C++ you just need to extern "C" the prototype:
    Code:
    extern "C"
    {
    Error add(int,int);
    }

Then the compiler knows not to mangle the name and not to look for a mangled name.

3. mani8899

mani8899 New Member

Re: Making a C function pointer work with C-style stack based calling mechanics in C+

Thanks! But what if I cannot work with the C code.I just have it as a dll. In that case is there a work around??

4. xpi0t0s

xpi0t0s Mentor

Senior Support Engineer

extern "C" is C++ code, not C code. This is what you put in the C++ code to make it call the function in the DLL. You still need a prototype, and you extern "C" it to stop the compiler mangling the names, then the linker resolves the call.