C & C++ Question

Discussion in 'C++' started by SoireeExtreme, Mar 30, 2007.

1. SoireeExtreme

SoireeExtreme New Member

Home Page:
    http://finalround.byethost7.com/
    Hi, I'm new here and new to C and possibly C++. I have not yet started learning either one. I've been looking up tutorials and whatnot on the web. And questions jumped into my head.

"Is C and C++ pretty much the same and/or go together?"

I was only wondering this because I see C & C++ together in a lot of places. Meaning links saying "Learn More About C & C++."

So it made me curious before I started learning so I could be on the correct page and not some fool jumping into the programming and whatnot.

Thanks for any replies.

2. DaWei

DaWei New Member

Semi-retired EE
    Home Page:
    http://www.daweidesigns.com
    C++ was designed by Bjarne Stroustroup as a much more powerful C-type language. Often, it is said that C++ is a 'superset' of C. This is not strictly the case, but might serve as an initial approximation.

C++ adds abilities that support easier object oriented design methodologies. One should not take that to mean that object oriented design is a software invention. Mechanical and hardware designers have been using it for hundreds of years.

C++ is also more strongly typed. There are plenty of valid C statements that will not compile properly as valid C++. Some things, such as structures, are substantially different when one lifts the hood and takes a look.

You will hear some say that one should learn C first for best results in learning C++. You wil hear others decry that as nonsense. I tend to side with the latter. One can write C++ as if it's merely a stronger C. One that does that is passing up some of the greatest benefits that C++ offers: namely, abstractions that allow problems to be solved in terms more suited to the human than to the machine. Such approaches cost more in machine resources, but less in human resources (technology's rapid pace has made it possible), which is the goal.

3. Asmhead

Asmhead New Member

I too am thinking of learning C or C++, and i am wondering if C has any advantages over C++, other than being a little easier to learn since it has less features than C++?

4. DaWei

DaWei New Member

Semi-retired EE
    Home Page:
    http://www.daweidesigns.com
    No, it doesn't, generally speaking. What you can do in C, you can do in C++. It just requires, in some instances, a tad more appreciation and attention.