another beginner needs your help:)

Discussion in 'Programming' started by ssartera, Jan 29, 2007.

1. ssartera

ssartera New Member

hi everybody
    i really want to learn programming,so i thought it's better to ask from experts first.
    i want to know which programming language is better for me(where should i start)?
    i prefer to learn a language of future.i mean something useful fo now and future, and that includes internet-aware programs(if i'm not wrong).to make it more clear, i don't mean a program to solely write server-based apps.i mean a proper language to learn just as a base, so in the future i can learn to write both a platform-based app(i do'nt know what it's called) and apps for internet(server-side).i want to be able to write some commercial programs(something worth to pay for) so i think i would aim for windows(please tell me if i'm wrong).i want to write apps with good performance(some apps written in java use lots of cpu on my sysem).i also want to write an app for example a very simple firewall in a reasonable time.by that i mean a trade-off between the time i spend on learning and coding, and the quality of the programs.if you know several languages capable of doing above please prioritize them and if you like tell me why you like them.
    thank you very much.

2. pradeep

pradeep Team Leader

Programmer
    Home Page:
    http://blog.pradeep.net.in
    Hmm...do you have a prior experience of programming, like in school level with GW-Basic, MS Logo or something like that?

3. ssartera

ssartera New Member

no, unfortunately i have no idea about it.
    actually last week i started to make some web pages for myself(i learned HTML) and found out that i need some programming skills to have a dynamic web site.then i realized that it's better to learn something for future demands,both for my web site and windows.

4. pradeep

pradeep Team Leader

Programmer
    Home Page:
    Well, you can start off with C. It's not very hard for beginners, it improves your understanding of programming, and many other languages share it's similarity (syntax, and sometimes functionally) with C.

5. ssartera

ssartera New Member

what about this Object Oriented thing?
    should i have any concern about it?

6. pradeep

pradeep Team Leader

Programmer
    Home Page:
    A revolutionary concept that changed the rules in computer program development, object-oriented programming (OOP) is organised around "objects" rather than "actions," data rather than logic.
    C doesn't support OOP, OOP starts with C++. You needn't worry about OOP now.

7. ssartera

ssartera New Member

if i'm not wrong c++ is a derived from c.
    is'nt it a waste of time to start from something older?

8. pradeep

pradeep Team Leader

Programmer
    Home Page:
    Bjarne Stroustrup developed C++ (originally named "C with Classes") in 1983 at Bell Labs as an enhancement to the C programming language. Enhancements started with the addition of classes, followed by, among other features, virtual functions, operator overloading, multiple inheritance, templates, and exception handling. The C++ programming language standard was ratified in 1998 as ISO/IEC 14882:1998, the current version of which is the 2003 version, ISO/IEC 14882:2003. A new version of the standard (known informally as C++0x) is being developed.

C is the base, so shouldn't you think you should learn C before C++, C is easier to learn. Although, many people started off with C++ instead of C, you too can do that if you want.

9. ssartera

ssartera New Member

thanks for the info.
    now i have a path to follow.
    if you have any more suggestions please let me know.
    thank you again.

10. pradeep

pradeep Team Leader

Programmer
    Home Page:
    You are welcome. Start off with the C/C++ forum on G4E, and in case you get stuck, you know where to look for help ;-)