Balloon ToolTip for NotifyIcon

Discussion in 'Win32' started by Spogliani, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Spogliani

Spogliani New Member

Student
    Hello to everyone :)

I'm trying to write a program which displays a notify icon and, in case of error, shows a balloon tool tip.

I have successfully created the Icon in the notification area but I can't display the Balloon!!!

I've searched on Google for a while and find this code http://www.planet-source-code.com/vb/scripts/ShowCode.asp?txtCodeId=8269&lngWId=3 that is supposed to work, but it doesn't :mad: and I can't understand why because I don't receive any error message.

Can someone help me please?

ps: I work with Windows XP SP3 and Visual Studio 2008 EE

2. imported_xpi0t0s

imported_xpi0t0s New Member

Argh! I HATE tooltips with a passion.

1. They usually pop up with information you don't need.
    2. They usually obscure information you do want to look at.
    3. They don't stay around long enough if you actually want to read them.
    4. They don't disappear quickly enough if you don't want to read them.
    5. They're often full of text only genuine retards would want to read. ("You've moved the mouse. Look, the pointer is now here")
    6. They are usually so badly designed that long text means they disappear off the edge of the screen instead of going multiline.
    7. They are often so badly designed that they don't notice a task switch so you get someone else's tooltip over the application you're trying to look at (Thunderbird does this).

Basically tooltips are a dreadful design idea and whoever thought of them should be forced to sign up to AOL.
    If you want to display an error, display it in the screen as static text.
    If you must use tooltips, make sure they don't suffer from any of the above points.

3. Spogliani

Spogliani New Member

Student
    thanks for your reply but I think that your points are not points against the tooltips but against the incorrect use of them:D:

This is because the developer who designed the program did it incorrectly or superficially:p.

Just click on them and the will disappear;).

There is the multiline version of them if you use it:).

Anyway I was not talking about general tooltips but the balloon tooltips (the ones that appear on the explorer's notification area)