Auto update of program (Downloading from web)

Discussion in 'C#' started by Dumpen, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Dumpen

Dumpen New Member

Hello.

I have been creating a application that checks the application version and sees if it fits with the version from http://msbeditor.dumpen.dk/versioninfo.html

If it doesnt I use a webBrowser component to open a download link to http://msbeditor.dumpen.dk/msbEditor.rar

But this is not very practical because, the ones using my application have to download all files even though some of the files are not changed..

So I wanted to ask if you have an idea on how to make a auto updater in C#?

I was thinking of something like:
    Check the application version with the online version (Allready done)
    If it doesnt fit, then match all the files (last changed or file size or similar) in the rar file (from msbeditor.dumpen.dk) with the files in the application folder
    If they are changed then download the changed files

Any ideas?

2. NewsBot

NewsBot New Member

Not a good one at all.

The way it should be done or I would say a best practice is you should have systematic upload as well as download procedure.

Say you upload version 1.13 today.

Then user downloads it and when installed it some where to know what version is installed.

Then you should query the server for the latest version

Then download the upgrade pack for that version which means any previous version should also have the upgrade pack updated to have the correct version dlls.

Remember the biggest challenge would be to have a compatibility issues and always try to have the things tested.

3. Dumpen

Dumpen New Member

So you recommend that I have all the version on the web?

If the user uses version 1.0.0.2 and the current version is 1.0.0.5 the user would download what? :confused:

4. NewsBot

NewsBot New Member

He would download and update package of 1.0.0.2 which is well configured to update to the latest version.