Today while reviewing and editing articles for a website I got an .ODT file which behaved a bit strangely. If i would press 'delete' the words would get stroked instead of deleting. This was quite a bit annoying and I had no clue about that problem, Googling for about 15 mins got me nothing and the only option I had is to fix it myself. Note: I am using Mac OSX Lion and Open-office 3.4.0 The Problem The above image shows a glimpse of the problem. Notice the stroked characters. After some minutes with Open-office I figured out the problem, It was actually a misconfiguration problem and Open-office was doing exactly what it was told to do. Solution Go to Edit -> Changes Deselect “Record” Yes, Its as simple as that.