Unix or Linux? (n00b alert)

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Maelstrom_VI, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Maelstrom_VI

Maelstrom_VI New Member

Ok, I have just started learning how to hack and several websites have recommended Linux or Unix. I kind of know what Linux is, but I know NOTHING about Unix. In regards to Linux, I have heard to use Ubuntu as a beginner. Also, I have Windows 7 on my computer and don't know how to add another OS without also adding a new hard disk. I saw that you could put them on a CD and select boot from disk and it would run independently, but I have no idea how. Thanks for helping a noob hacker just learning the skills.

~Maelstrom_VI

2. rpbear

rpbear New Member

Ubuntu can share the partition with another OS such as Windows.And it can boot from USB ,you can use it in the livecd mode,however,the performance isn't very well.Besides,Puppy linux is a small and efficient distro of Linux and can be run in RAM without installing it(something like that...I'm not very sure).

3. lionaneesh

lionaneesh Active Member

Student
  4. Space-Youth

Space-Youth New Member

You might want to look into getting a penetration testing distro like Kali or Parrot, that is if you interested in hacking/cyber security.

There is to many differences between the two but I would recommend you stick with Linux for driver compatibility and more documentation. but if you are feeling adventurous try out FreeBSD.

shabbir likes this.
  5. Gabriel9999

Gabriel9999 New Member

Hi,
    I suggest you install ubuntuyu using VMware, you start working there