Need to transfer files. Corrupted windows won't allow me to.

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Rydium41, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Rydium41

Rydium41 New Member

Hello to all.

Some unexpected problem recently caused my windows installation to get corrupted and now I want to simply reinstall it and start anew with a fresh install. However, some important files were in the directory where windows is installed and now I'm having some difficulty in getting them out. The windows installation directory was in the local disk C: .

The problem is that I can't boot normally and in safe-mode. I tried using my windows boot cd to try and repair windows. The commands chkdsk, bootcfg /rebuild, fixmbr and fixboot all did not work. I also tried installing windows in another completely unused drive, which was D:. However, when I try to do this, it says that it is checking the hard disks and freezes when it is checking C:, after which I am left with no option but to restart.

The files are inside a folder in C: Drive, outside the WINDOWS Folder, so I was hoping if I could somehow uninstall windows only but can't figure out how to do that.

Right now, I just need a way to copy that folder in C Drive, put it in any of the other drives (D, E or F) and then reformat and reinstall. The OS is Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 2

Is there anyway I can get this done?

Thanks for any help.

2. johnny.dacu

johnny.dacu New Member

Try a live CD (maybe a linux distribution) to access those files.