Wanting to switch to development

Discussion in 'Jobs And Career Discussion' started by win21, Sep 25, 2007.

1. win21

win21 New Member

QA
    Hi there! I am new to this forum site and I just want to get some opinion or suggestions on how I would go about switching to a different job/position. I am currently a Quality Assurance Analyst but wants to switch into development in C# and eventually ASP.net. I used to be a programmer for Informix and Oracle before the year 1999. Since then, I had to switch into QA jobs because my company had a hard time finding a client for me doing Informix or Oracle. :( Until now I have not switched back doing development.

If anyone out there could guide me on how to go about switching back to development using C# and ASP.net. I was thinking of getting those 21 days learning book and start from there. But the question remains is how am I going to penetrate back into development if I am still doing QA work? Would there be a company willing to hire someone who is just starting to learn? Or should I get certified first before I go look for a job on development.

Thanks for any help or suggestions you might extend.

2. shabbir

shabbir Administrator Staff Member

The hard time you will have is with pay scale. For development they may consider you as a fresher.

3. shabbir

Moved from C# to Job Seeker forum.

4. win21

win21 New Member

QA
    Thanks Shabbir for your reply. I don't think the pay scale would matter. It seems that entry level for programmer is just the same as the one I am getting right now, so I would not have a problem with that. Also, in the long run, it will pay off being in development. But the question in my mind still remains is that, are there still companies out there hiring entry-level programmers? Most I see are with at least 2 years of experience.

5. shabbir

They do but when you have 2 yrs of experience its better. Also certifications can get you upper hand when applying for job and after that its all about cracking the interview.