settimer() speed

Discussion in 'Win32' started by rodolphe, Feb 3, 2008.

1. rodolphe

rodolphe New Member

Hi! First, a bit of background on what I'm doing. I'm currently working on a project to correlate eye-gaze position with cursor position on a computer screen. I could not find any free software that did want I wanted it to do (for free ~.~) so I decided to write my own.

Apparently, there is no easy way to do this from a console application, so I had to write a win32 application, for the first time ever.

What this program basically has to do is get the cursor position's x and y coordinates and the current time, and write them to a file every 4milliseconds.

The problem is that for some reason, it only does this every 15.5 ms.

I was just wondering how to fix this, if my code was for some reason slowing down application or something. Here's the snippets of code:

Code:
    UINT myTimer = SetTimer( hwnd, 9000, 1, TimerProc );

Code:
    VOID CALLBACK TimerProc ( HWND hParent, UINT uMsg, UINT uEventID, DWORD dwTimer)
    {         
         POINT p;
         SYSTEMTIME curTime;

GetCursorPos(&p);
         GetLocalTime(&curTime);

fprintf(data,"(%d %d)\t%d:%d:%d:%d\n", p.x, p.y, curTime.wHour, curTime.wMinute, curTime.wSecond, curTime.wMilliseconds);
    }

2. oogabooga

oogabooga New Member

The timer has a resolution of about 10ms (if that).
    It used to be about 50ms on Windows 95/98, so it's an improvement.
    I'll think about how to get better resolution, but it won't be by using SetTimer().