Reading a remote server's POST response to my server's POST and GET commands

Discussion in 'C#' started by kwillie, Nov 14, 2013.

1. kwillie

kwillie New Member

I'm new to C#. I have some questions about POST and GET communication between two servers. My server is called "AAG." The remote server is called "LRU."

1. I put together a WebRequest to Http POST to a remote server. I want to read the response from the remote server, which will be a POST to my server. Will a HTTP WebResponse using a StreamReader be sufficient to read the remoter server's POST response? If not, do I need to use the HttpListener to receive that POST?

2. This question is similar to the previous. I need to implement a Http GET command to retrieve data from the remote server's .shtml page. I used a WebRequest with the GET cmd. Next, I used a StreamReader to get the page. I then used the WebResponse with a StreamReader to read the other server's POST response. Is this the appropriate approach to GET data from the .shtml page and read the remote server's POST response? If not, do I need to use the HttpListener to receive that POST? The attached code is what I've done.

Thanks alot for any suggestions,
    -KW

Code:
    //  generate an AAG GET to retrieve LRU's webpage.  ? Do we follow by receiving a LRU's response (which is a LRU POST)

string HttpGet (string "/setFreq.shtml")
            {	
                //  generate a request from AAG to LRU server to get the LRU's webpage of selected values
                WebRequest webrequest = WebRequest.Create ("/setFreq.shtml");	// initializes AAG WebRequest instance for URI webpage location on LRU
                webRequest.Method = "GET";						// this sends GET webpage cmd to LRU server
                Stream dataStream = null;						// initialize LRU datastream for GET
                try
                {
                    dataStream = webRequest.GetResponse().GetResponseStream();	// request to get datastream from webpages
                    StreamReader sr = new StreamReader(datastream);			// reads LRU datastream
                    string sLine = "";						// initialize a line of the datastream 

// read each line of the LRU's datastream until empty
                    while (sLine != null)
                    {
                        i++;
                        sLine = sr.ReadLine();
                    }

dataStream.Close();						// close the stream
                }

catch (WebException ex)						// error reading LRU's datastream
                {	
                    MessageBox.Show ( ex.Message, "httpGet:  Request error",
                        MessageBoxButtons.OK, MessageBoxIcon.Error);
                }

//  read the LRU posted response  ? will this read the LRU's POST to AAG or do I need to use a httplistener to read incoming POST?
                try
                {
                    WebResponse webResponse = webRequest.GetResponse();		// assigns response object to LRU's response to AAG's GET WebRequest
                    if(webResponse == null)
                    { return null; }

// get the LRU's datastream associated with the response object ? do i use streamreader or stream class to read data?
                    StreamReader sr = new StreamReader (webResponse.GetResponseStream());	// reads the LRU's POST response stream
                    return sr.ReadToEnd ().Trim ();						// returns read LRU's response to end of data and removes encapsulated white spaces
                }

catch (WebException ex)											// error reading LRU's response
                {	
                    MessageBox.Show ( ex.Message, "httpPost:  Request error",
                        MessageBoxButtons.OK, MessageBoxIcon.Error);
                }
                return null;	
            }