Problem using Make

Discussion in 'C' started by niranjanvg, Apr 6, 2010.

1. niranjanvg

niranjanvg New Member

Hi All,

I am using GNU Make and i have a peculiar kind of error, i am not able to understand, Firstly have a look at the make file used by me

CFLAGS=-c -Wall
    CC=gcc
    .PHONY:clean
    OBJ=./obj
    SRC=./src
    INC=./inc
    exec: $(OBJ)/*.o
    $(CC) $^ -o $@
    %.o: $(SRC)/*.c
    $(CC) $(CFLAGS) $^ -I$(INC)
    mv *.o $(OBJ)
    clean:
    rm -f $(OBJ)/*.o exec

as for as my knowledge goes it is correct, and it execute properly, but the problem is when i change some of my code, and rerun make, it throws a error as below,

gcc -c -Wall src/main.c src/read.c -I./inc
    mv *.o ./obj
    gcc makefile.o -o makefile
    gcc: makefile.o: No such file or directory
    gcc: no input files
    make: *** [makefile] Error

I tried a lot of things but not able to understand why it is happening, if i open the make file and save it, then it works properly, or in other words, if make file is the last one to be edited or it is the one having the latest time stamp than any other file then it is ok, or else it gives an error as above, Kindly help me understand where have i gone wrong in writing the make file.

Thanks & Regards,

Niranjan

2. xpi0t0s

xpi0t0s Mentor

Senior Support Engineer
    What is your makefile called, and what command do you type to invoke the makefile?

Could you post the makefile again, this time using code tags so that the formatting is preserved? Some lines should be indented and this formatting is removed by the site, so code tags are needed.
    For some reason it looks like it is trying to compile "makefile.c", and it's just as well it doesn't work because if the make file is called "makefile" then "gcc makefile.o -o makefile" would overwrite the makefile.

For some reason make is taking the date of the makefile itself into consideration, which it shouldn't do, but this depends on the command and the name of the makefile.

3. niranjanvg

niranjanvg New Member

ok My Make file is name "makefile" and i use simple "make" command to invoke it, I am following all the indentations for the rules, anyways have look at my file again.

Repost of my Make file is as below

Code:
    CFLAGS=-c -Wall -g
    CC=gcc
    .PHONY:clean
    OBJ:=./obj
    SRC:=./src
    INC:=./inc
    exec: $(OBJ)/*.o
        $(CC) $^ -o $@ 
    %.o: $(SRC)/*.c
        $(CC) $(CFLAGS) $^ -I$(INC)
        mv *.o $(OBJ)
    clean:
        rm -f $(OBJ)/*.o exec

As your rightly mentioned it is trying to compile makefile.c which should not be done, and i also found out that the problem is arising because of the pattern matching of wildcard characters used, but am unable to correct it.

And the Error generated is as below

Code:

gcc -c -Wall -g src/main.c src/pop.c src/print_machine.c src/push.c src/read.c src/validate_expr.c -I./inc
    mv *.o ./obj
    gcc   makefile.o   -o makefile
    gcc: makefile.o: No such file or directory
    gcc: no input files
    make: *** [makefile] Error 1

Regards,
    Nianjan