1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pointers C language help ask

Discussion in 'C' started by gbrunati, Apr 22, 2011.

1. gbrunati

gbrunati New Member

I want to print a text using it's var name call, but what I get is the name itself. Help me, please...I think it's about pointers.

I need to select and print one from a group of texts, and "chnitxpr" is constructed in a separate subroutine, so it is the name of the choosen text variable ("vchnitxpr" in this case). My problem is that argument 2 in the "strcpy" is recognized as the name of the variable string and I want the variable itself, so it prints the corresponding text.

Trying to explain widely, this is the code with more details:

Code:
    #include <stdio.h>
    #include <string.h>

char chnitxpr[9];
    char* fPlnNcs (pto_cel pcpto);

int main()
    {
    char chvar[9];
    char *chNepC01 = "01blablablsblablablablsblablablablsblablblblaaabla0101010101.\n";
    char *chNepC02 = "02blablablsblablablablsblablablablsblablblblaaabla0202020202.\n";
    char *chNepC03 = "03blablablsblablablablsblablablablsblablblblaaabla0303030303.\n";
    /* fPlnNcs(sol) = chnitxpr could be chNepC01, chNepC02, chNepC03...  chNepC0N */

fPlnNcs(sol); /* this is a string */
    	strcpy(chvar, fPlnNcs(sol));
    	printf("%s\n", chvar);

or...

fPlnNcs(sol); /* this is a string */
    	strcpy(chvar, chnitxpr);
    	printf("%s\n", chvar);  /*:mad: I want to print the text, but prints the name of the variable */

return 0;
    }

char* fPlnNcs (pto_cel pcpto) /* Ubica punto celeste en casa (21 de abril 2011)*/
    {
    	return chnitxpr; 
    }

thanks in advance for your help.

2. eriyer

eriyer New Member

chvar is of size 9 and is declared as a local variable i.e. created on the stack - the strings (chNep*) are much longer. strcpy() could be overwriting the stack and what you see as output could be junk from the RAM.

3. gbrunati

gbrunati New Member

Let's forget the chvar local variable and the strcpy.
    ;)

The return from the function is a size 9 string wich is the MANE of the longer string variable to print. I want to print the text, i.e., the choosen string (*chNep...), not the name of the shorter variable.